Valued Contributor

Re: Vestibular Disease in Dogs

It sounds as if she had a wonderful life. The final decision is always difficult, but we don't want our animal friends to suffer if we can't help them. 

Trusted Contributor

So very sorry Kachina for your loss of wonderful Bree.  You did the right thing, you're a good pet parent.  It's not easy to lose a fur baby family member.   Hugs to you.  Cherish the memories of your baby girl Bree.  

Honored Contributor

I appreciate so much all of your kind words.  It's wonderful to have people who are understanding of the circumstances.  I have actually lost 4 dogs in the past 18 month.  Three were about the same age so I knew I'd be hit with this at some point.  One was a permanent foster who came from the seizure of 150 purebred Collies in the Houston area.  As soon as she was spayed, she developed an auto immune disease which ultimately resulted in her death 14 months later.  She was especially hard to lose because she really never got a chance to live.   I hope they're all playing together today under the rainbow. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I am so sorry for your loss.  I didn't realize how tough this past 18 months has been for you.  You are a strong woman and I thank you for taking the time to post this information about vestibular disease in your time of sadness.   It is something I will remember and perhaps it will help someone that reads this to help their dog or at least aid in a quicker diagnosis. 

Thank you and again, I am so sorry for your recent loss and the ones that were not so long ago.  Take care.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a very sad thing indeed.  I have heard of many cases of vestibular disease in lots of different breeds of dogs, and all of them recovered completely with relatively minimal treatment.  Cerenia to control the nausea, subcutaneous fluids if they were dehydrated, small frequent meals and easily digested foods, tranquilizers to help them sleep if they are too upset.  The Scotties I've known with the disease have all recovered in less than a week, way less than two weeks in all cases.   It is indeed much harder to handle the nursing with a larger dog, two people with a blanket is the easiest way to move a heavy dog, but even then it's a chore. 

Kachina, you knew your dog and your situation better than anyone else, and you made the best decision you could for you and your poor girl Bree.  I wish, as I always do, for every owner and every pet, that you had not had to face that choice.  It's a choice nobody wants to make, but it is forced upon us by the love we bear our beloved companions.  I am very, very sorry for the sudden, critical situation that forced you to say goodbye to Bree with so little warning, even though she was 12 and a half, I know it was still too soon to say goodbye.

Honored Contributor

Image result for loss of dog pics

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss and thanks so much for sharing your experience.   I am owned by a 14 y/o black lab.   I watch her closely every day for "signs".   She's been too good of a family member to allow any suffering.   I dread the day.

I lost a lab last year.   I know it's hard.

@Kachina624

Trusted Contributor

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this info.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 - I'm truly sorry for the loss of your beloved dog Bree.

I'm all too familiar with vestibular disease, as it occurs in cats, too.  I found out only when my (then) 10-year-old Tonkinese suddenly appeared to be having a stroke.  The same symptoms you describe.  The rapid eye movement you mention is nystagmus.

It was a Sunday, so I called the emergency animal hospital.  They told me what it likely was and said it would be all right to wait until the following morning to take her to my regular vet, who's treated her from a kitten.

He was able to treat her himself and she recovered.  She is still with us thankfully, but has a permanent slight head tilt and her balance has never been quite the same.  Some times she will just walk around in a particular circular pattern, usually late at night.  I think it's the "route" she mapped out for herself when the disease was at its worst.

You know you did the very best you could for Bree.  I wish you nothing but happy memories.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 first, I am so sorry about your loss. I know it is heartbreaking.

Secondly I wanted to thank you for this info. This is the first I've heard of this and oddly it describes something that was happening to my sweet boy before he passed this past Friday. I had called all his various vets and described the symptoms and not a single one mentioned this...not one. And yes, he was an old dog so you'd think maybe they'd think of this??? I am not saying for sure it was but it certainly has all the signs of it and wish the vets would have at least mentioned it as a possibility. Sometimes vets are worthless. Anyway, we had thought it might be a stroke the way he was acting but this makes much more sense as a stroke did not completely explain it and he had residual symptoms continue although they were getting less severe. 

Anyway, now I know about this and I appreciate the heads up and, again, {{hugs}} for your loss of Bree and the other dogs you've lost recently.