Super Contributor

UPDATE ON EARLIER MSG (See "Advice on Kittens")

I'm heartbroken. On Sunday after opening the garage door to let Momma out I happened to be in the backyard and looked into garage, saw what I thought was Momma only to see another cat run out with one of the babies in his/her mouth. DH went upstairs in garage and found one baby remaining. Closed garage door and waited all day for Momma to return which she did not.

First thing Monday morning checked on surviving kitten to see if it survived the night. Called a veterinarian that opened at 8:00a.m. and explained what happened and I needed help. He said to bring kitten right over which we did, HOWEVER, right  before we were leaving Momma showed up, ate some food, went upstairs in garage to check on kittens. When she came down she looked in the box (which was the original box) and left.

We took the kitten because we believed Momma was not going to accept it -- perhaps she smelled the scent of the other cat.  

At least we saved one but we're still sick over what happed.

Respected Contributor

Re: UPDATE ON EARLIER MSG (See "Advice on Kittens")

Soooooooooo sorry... Cat Sad

Honored Contributor

We had that happen when I was a child. Tom cats find the kittens and kill them so mama will come back in heat and he can breed her again.  Not uncommon for this to happen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@MaverDaver  Your efforts are so kind. 

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry that you had this happen....if you can get mama kitty spayed you can help her avoid the heartache happening again. Are you planning on keeping the kitten?

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Super Contributor

Easier said than done. Momma is savvy and goes no where near a trap even with the best food inside.  Also, if I were to catch her for spaying what then? Just show up at a vet's office and ask them to perform procedure. I would think you'd have to do a bit of preplanning so that if she were to be caught I could take her IMMEDIATELY to a vet unless you have a better suggestion.

No I did not keep kitten. As stated earlier I took it to a vet who agreed to take it.  I have a 100lb Doberman who is not fond of other creatures.