Honored Contributor

Re: This has been the worst year ever.......so much loss..

@savetheanimals wrote:

This has been a really hard year. In June my mother passed from dementia, in September my stepfather passed from dementia and a couple weeks ago we had to put down our special needs cat - Honey Bee. She was the sweetest, most special little girl ever. We had her for 9 years and that was not long enough. I am not sure how to handle all this and I really have not been able to grieve, I almost feel guilty. All this is to much. And now the holidays.............

DSC01179.JPG

@savetheanimals   I’m so very sorry for your losses. They do seem devastating when seen all together. Maybe if you could take time to give each loss the grieving time deserved, you won’t seem so overwhelmed. The holidays will certainly be difficult, but could be a positive, uplifting time if you’ve taken the time to say your proper “Good Byes”. 🌸

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh ElvisLover,

My heart grieves with yours ... to lose a parent, and then a precious kitty.  Your heart will be numb for a while.  I lost my kitty too this year, and I still ache beyond words.  Why do things happen in "threes"  ... it seems to.   Hugs for you that you find comfort and peace!

Trusted Contributor

hugs and prayers are headed your way.  i iwish that you resided near me so we could chat over over a pot of ht heat and just talk.  i know that that helps me.  but just know that others arehere or you and that things will get better. i promise,  because i have been there .  it takes time to heal your heart and it may never be the same but still time will help.

Honored Contributor

@savetheanimals  I've been through back to back losses in a short period of time, just like you describe in your original post.  I'm not trying to be a smart aleck or funny when I say that I understand feeling so overwhelmed by the loss that you honestly don't know who to grieve first.

If I may give some advice, please do a few things for yourself.  First, be patient with yourself.  We all grieve differently and it could hit you at different times for each loss (mom, stepdad and Honey Bee).  Second, be kind to yourself - try not to judge yourself harshly.  

Now, the run of the mill advice - remember to eat and get rest when you can.

It's been my experience with back to back loss of loved ones (including our animal companions) that grief is kind of like an onion.  You work through it by layers.  It also can take up to 4 seasons to work through the worst of it.  Each seaon (winter, spring, summer, fall) can bring back specific memories or good times that will rip open the wounds left by the losses.

I am very sorry that you are in the midst of so much grief.  You might not feel like you are going to crawl out of it however I promise that you will come through the other side.  

You will never forget your mom, stepdad or precious Honey Bee.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@savetheanimals

Honey Bee will be waiting for you.

She sure was a beauty -- such a dear face.   So expressive!

You've had a difficult year -- no words can help, but I am truly sorry for your losses.

Esteemed Contributor

@savetheanimals

@savetheanimals wrote:

This has been a really hard year. In June my mother passed from dementia, in September my stepfather passed from dementia and a couple weeks ago we had to put down our special needs cat - Honey Bee. She was the sweetest, most special little girl ever. We had her for 9 years and that was not long enough. I am not sure how to handle all this and I really have not been able to grieve, I almost feel guilty. All this is to much. And now the holidays.............

DSC01179.JPG

@savetheanimals wrote:

DSC01179.JPG

So sorry for your losses.  Your beloved car Honeybee is beautiful.  My prayers for your healing.