Valued Contributor

I saw an ad for a munchkin cat in the classifieds of one of our local tv stations. They were asking $250 for her and they were selling her due to relocation. I sent a text and the owner texted back someone was on the way to see her then. Didn't hear anything from the owner for a few days so I figured they wanted the cat. Then about a week or so later, I got a text that said the cat was still available. I asked a few questions, including what date does she need to be taken by. Owner texted that no date as she has a big dog who is too rough with the cat. (I thought you were moving). Asked if she would send me pics of the cat. That was 2 days ago, and no pics and not a word. What do you think?

cookin

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Think it may be a scam

[ Edited ]

I'd run a mile and keep my money.  Personally, it sounds very odd.  (I'd be worried that, even if there is a real cat, it's going to have been stolen from somewhere and that's why no photos have been sent and there's no fixed date.)

(ETA:  And when I want a cat, I head for my local rescue shelter.)

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak I agree with @Venezia this sounds too good to be true and then the owner only wants to text and not actually have a conversation via phone.  That cat either has been stolen or does not exist.  I have seen this scam done with certain types of dogs and the person selling took the money and delivered no pet or the poor dog was sick when it was delivered. You should follow your "gut feelings" as you have already pointed out she said she was moving and now she has to get rid of the cat because of her big dog Smiley LOL which probably does not exist either!

Valued Contributor

@Venezia

I was supposed to see the cat today after work, but I am not going to do it now. I would go to the HS for a cat, but the one here in my town has made it so difficult to adopt a pet now. They are also charging a lot of money.

@GAQShopr53

I am going to trust my gut and not get the cat. What you have stated is what I was thinking also. Sad to say, but who knows what kind of sickos are out there. Person I was texting had a female name, but who's to say that is even true?

I have a niece who has a s-i-l who has some kitties. I am getting one of hers which I had planned on before but I was thinking it would like to have 2 cats to keep each other company.

cookin

Trusted Contributor

we have a local in ternet board here where people can post itmes for sale.  you bet the scammers are all over it.  they post french bull dogs for $100.00.  a good clue is if the number to call is not a local call.