Respected Contributor

Re: THE PET CHAT CORNER DEC. 14 - DEC. 20

@beastielove wrote:

@Lyn08 wrote:

I'll be getting my first kitty soon.  Can any of you recommend a good litter box for my small apartment?  I will be very diligent about keeping the box scooped and changed regularly; however, I want to keep odors under control.  There are so many litter boxes to choose from, and I'm just confused.  I have an open space under my linen closet (25"L x 25"H x 22"W.  I'd like to use this space, and I won't keep linens directly over the space (only things in plastic containers).  Do you think an open litter box would work okay?  Or, do I need a covered litter box?  I really don't have room anywhere else to put the litter box.  I have arthritis and back problems, so I want to make cleaning the litter box as easy as possible.

Bless your beautiful heart for giving a precious kitty a loving forever home. I know from experience (I have had cats in my life ever since I was 5 years old) that you'll be rewarded with the best stuff ever...unconditional kitty love!HeartCat Happy

I'm currently mommy to five kitties...all of them rescues. Didn't plan to have that many but .Divine Intervention meant for my path to cross theirs and save their lives.

In regards to your question about the litter box....as you mentioned that you have arthritis and back problems I suggest that  you get a litter box without a cover. Most of the covers are attached to the box with some type of clasps and these might be difficult for you to open.

Make sure to get a nice sized litter box (i.e. not a small,shallow one) and that it's at least 6 inches high/deep. Make sure to put newspaper underneath it...that way any litter that the kitty might kick out when it's covering it's "business"..(it won't be a lot!) will fall on the paper and make it easy for you to clean up.

Make sure to get litter that clumps..it will make the scooping process much easier for you. I've been using Super Scoop for years. Please note that the bags are heavy so I stongly suggest that you have a friend who has no lifting issues to come with you when you buy the litter and bring it into your apartment. You should also get a large bag...that way it will last for a long time.

I use the plastic bags that you get at the supermarket to put my kitties' "deposits" into...then tie the top of the bags and toss them into the garbage can.

I hope that this information helps.

If I think of anything else I'll post back.

---------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws  =^..^=

Oh, thanks so much for the information.  I didn't know if anyone would reply, and I just checked back tonight and saw your answer.  That is so sweet of you to give me some pointers.  I'll definitely take these into account when I buy a litter box and litter.

I don't have anyone to help me with lifting the litter, but I have ordered groceries on-line with delivery to my apartment, so I may do that when I need to order litter.

Can you tell me how you keep the cat litter that comes in the big bag?  Do you put it in smaller containers?  If not, how do you close the bag, so the litter doesn't fall out?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Doxie wrote:

I have lost a dear family member and am heartbroken. It always reminds me to savor each day as if it were your last. We seem to take some much for granted at times. I am thankful for the posters that share this space with me.

doxie

My condolences on the loss of your family member.  I know how heartbreaking it is to lose someone who means so much to you.  I went through the same thing earlier this year, and I'm still heartsick.  I think it's especially hard during the holiday season.  I'm wishing you comfort and blessings.

Honored Contributor

@Lyn08 wrote:

@beastielove wrote:

@Lyn08 wrote:

I'll be getting my first kitty soon.  Can any of you recommend a good litter box for my small apartment?  I will be very diligent about keeping the box scooped and changed regularly; however, I want to keep odors under control.  There are so many litter boxes to choose from, and I'm just confused.  I have an open space under my linen closet (25"L x 25"H x 22"W.  I'd like to use this space, and I won't keep linens directly over the space (only things in plastic containers).  Do you think an open litter box would work okay?  Or, do I need a covered litter box?  I really don't have room anywhere else to put the litter box.  I have arthritis and back problems, so I want to make cleaning the litter box as easy as possible.

Bless your beautiful heart for giving a precious kitty a loving forever home. I know from experience (I have had cats in my life ever since I was 5 years old) that you'll be rewarded with the best stuff ever...unconditional kitty love!HeartCat Happy

I'm currently mommy to five kitties...all of them rescues. Didn't plan to have that many but .Divine Intervention meant for my path to cross theirs and save their lives.

In regards to your question about the litter box....as you mentioned that you have arthritis and back problems I suggest that  you get a litter box without a cover. Most of the covers are attached to the box with some type of clasps and these might be difficult for you to open.

Make sure to get a nice sized litter box (i.e. not a small,shallow one) and that it's at least 6 inches high/deep. Make sure to put newspaper underneath it...that way any litter that the kitty might kick out when it's covering it's "business"..(it won't be a lot!) will fall on the paper and make it easy for you to clean up.

Make sure to get litter that clumps..it will make the scooping process much easier for you. I've been using Super Scoop for years. Please note that the bags are heavy so I stongly suggest that you have a friend who has no lifting issues to come with you when you buy the litter and bring it into your apartment. You should also get a large bag...that way it will last for a long time.

I use the plastic bags that you get at the supermarket to put my kitties' "deposits" into...then tie the top of the bags and toss them into the garbage can.

I hope that this information helps.

If I think of anything else I'll post back.

---------------------------------------------

Oh, thanks so much for the information.  I didn't know if anyone would reply, and I just checked back tonight and saw your answer.  That is so sweet of you to give me some pointers.  I'll definitely take these into account when I buy a litter box and litter.

I don't have anyone to help me with lifting the litter, but I have ordered groceries on-line with delivery to my apartment, so I may do that when I need to order litter.

Can you tell me how you keep the cat litter that comes in the big bag?  Do you put it in smaller containers?  If not, how do you close the bag, so the litter doesn't fall out?

The brand that I recommended has a secure sliding closure at the top of the bag. There are also other brands (for example Tidy Cat...which I have used from time to time) that come in plastic containers that have lids that also close securely.

I don't know where you live but if there's a Dollar Tree store near by...you shoud purchase the plastic scoopers there. They're well made and will last for quite a while.They also sell a nice variety of cat toys and the price for everything is purr-fect!

When are you getting your kitty?

-------------------------------------------

Respected Contributor

panda- Thank you for the hugs and prayers.

doxie

Respected Contributor

beastie- Thank you for the condolences and comfort hugs. You know in your heart that the ending is what is best but you have a void from the physical loss.

doxie

Respected Contributor

lyn08

I am sorry for your loss as well. Thanks for the thoughts.

It is tough around holidays without your loved ones.

doxie

Valued Contributor

Doxie-I am so sorry for your loss. May God give you peace, strength, and comfort. 

Love and hugs to you dear Doxie. (((((Doxie and family)))))

Valued Contributor

PCC friends lifting you all up in prayer. May God bless each friend here. 

Panda & CRG I bet y'all are ready for your Christmas break!!! 

Respected Contributor

Valued Contributor

Welcome Lyn08!  I'm so happy for you and especially for that precious kitty who is getting its fur ever home!