Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 I know how you felt because I am going to be gone for two weeks at Christmas and I am worried about that.I am going to try to get someone else to go there to feed the cat but I don't know if anyone will go on Christmas Day.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 I love your idea and I will make the little home.The cat can't get into the building because it is boarded up and whoever owns the building does check on it to keep it from becoming lived in.I have noticed a homeless person there and all of his stuff was removed.Also any graffiti that shows up.

Respected Contributor

It breaks my heart to see abandoned or neglected animals.  We had a stray appear in our neighborhood last year and he was so sweet and friendly.  I bought cat food so whenever he appeared I fed and watered him.  You could tell he had been abandoned because he stayed on porches and decks in the neighborhood.  He didn't know where to go.  He managed to survive the winter and when I saw him this spring, he was so thin and hungry.   I had cat food in the house so I opened the door, he walked in and he is still with us.  I took him to the vet for a complete checkup, shots and neutering.  He is one sweet boy ane we love him dearly.  Even my husband who was never much of a cat person is nuts over this cat!

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman Maybe over time the cat will trust me enough to come home but it is a long walk.i don't think he trusts me that much yet.

Honored Contributor

@dex

Thank you for feeding this furbaby    Heart  .... I know how heartbreaking it is to see hungry animals!   

Is there someone who could go with you and trap him?    I don't know where you live but the weather is only going to get colder!     Maybe you could call Animal Control and tell them you'll happily adopt him if someone else can capture him for you?    

Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman  That is so cool!  You can tell by my sig that I love cats.  Since your guy just walked right into your house, you could tell he had been someone's pet in the past.  I feel extra sad for those cats because they are so unprepared for the wild.  He wasn't dumb, though.......he hung aroung the porches until he finally found someone who would let him in!

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

He is just scared.  You will not betray him by making him an indoor kitty.  Please do trap him.  Once you do, you can take him directly to the vet.  Leave him there for a check-up, neutering and shots, and then bring him home.  He will want a place where he can hide for awhile, but he will quickly adjust and feel like he has "retired" from life on the streets and he will love you forever.

Years ago, I had a feral family in my neighborhood.  They would come to my back door twice a day for meals.  One by one I trapped the young ones, taking them directly to the vet and then bringing them home - Tootsie, Turvy, Topsy and Tizzy.  They adjusted within days.  Top cried by the door for a week.  I just talked to him, "Oh, that is such a sad story."  They were wonderful, loving pets.  Top lived to be 17, and he was especially dear.  He would hold up his head so I could kiss him between the ears.  And he learned tricks, like "Flop Top" where he would go from standing to flopped over on his side.  So cute.

I was especially nervous about trapping the mama kitty as she had been feral for a few years.  I thought she would pitch a fit when trapped.  Quite the opposite - the trap closed, she turn around, sat down and waited like a lamb.  The morning after she came home, she lay on her back on the living room floor kicking the toy mice while I made breakfast.  It made me cry it was so cute.  Marmie was a tiny little thing who always associated people with food.  She used to "creep out" the furnace maintenance guy by following him around, just waiting for a treat.

Please catch this kitty and give him (or her) a wonderful home with you or someone else.  Life on the streets is no fun for a kitty and full of danger - mean people, other animals, cars...

Respected Contributor

@lynne6was7  Beautiful post from an obviously beautiful person!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@KentuckyWoman Maybe over time the cat will trust me enough to come home but it is a long walk.i don't think he trusts me that much yet.

@dex

I don't think this cat will ever "trust you more" if you just keep dropping food off to them.   You will just become a daily event to look forward to.   

Progress has to be made and he has to see that things go well.    I like the idea of food in the borrowed cage .....  please solicit help if you don't think you can do this alone.   Winter is coming!

Trusted Contributor

I appreciate the beautiful stories from all of you and I hope I don't upset any of you, but I have another side to this. 

We has a cat we got from the animal shelter 12 years ago. We all love her dearly. Last summer our neighbor  befriended  a stray cat. It was male ours is female. It started with horrible fights in the middle of the night in the back yard. Our dog would go barking out from under our bed to brake it up. We'll, this summer it waits outside for our cat to come out to go potty, or it will come in our family room through the dog door. Well now we have WW111 down in the family room in the middle of the night. Our cat won't go out side anymore does her business in the house. I even put a litter box right out side the dog door, she won't use it. She sit by the sliding glass door looking for that cat. I called our vet, they told me we could give her pills to calm her down. I said "What why should I have to calm my cat down?"  I've talked to the neighbor, they just laugh. I would appreciate any advice.