Respected Contributor

@2blonde it does break my heart because I know he was somebody's cat.  There was a family in our neighborhood that moved out abruptly so I wondered if he belonged to them.  Who knows?  He is very well behaved inside and he knew what the litter box was for.  He is so sweet and he was not afraid of us or any of the other neighbors.  The vet told us on the whole, male cats are very friendly and more social than females but I really couldn't say.  All I know is he is the light of our life.  By the way, he loves bieng outdoors but he hardly ever goes out of our yard unless our next door neighbor is home.  He is fond of them as well but he always comes back home.

Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@2blonde it does break my heart because I know he was somebody's cat.  There was a family in our neighborhood that moved out abruptly so I wondered if he belonged to them.  Who knows?  He is very well behaved inside and he knew what the litter box was for.  He is so sweet and he was not afraid of us or any of the other neighbors.  The vet told us on the whole, male cats are very friendly and more social than females but I really couldn't say.  All I know is he is the light of our life.  By the way, he loves bieng outdoors but he hardly ever goes out of our yard unless our next door neighbor is home.  He is fond of them as well but he always comes back home.

@KentuckyWoman  Your guy sounds like a real love bug!  I had a female cat years ago that I took in from an ad in the paper.  It was a single man with two young girls, and he said he just didn't want the cat anymore because the kids didn't treat her well.  I wasn't sure about his story, or what to expect, but she was a beautiful tuxedo cat, already spayed and declawed, only a year old, and came complete with litterbox and litter!  She wailed in the back of the car all the way home, but when we got there she settled right in like she had known me forever.  She was the friendliest cat I ever saw.  She loved when people came to visit, and if the doorbell rang, she ran to the door like a dog and waited for me to let them in!   She wouldn't leave them alone until they pet her!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@dex

I wanted to check in with you and see how your kitty is doing? Any progress with the cat coming closer to you?

Hope to hear from you soon. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom Thank you for the information, honestly I have no idea if she is a feral cat or an abandoned cat, we first discovered it when we believe it was rather young as over the months we have seen it grow when we have caught glimpses of it, but it will not allow us anywhere near it, nor does it meow at us for food, on two occasions it has looked in the window next to the front door, and we talk to him/her through the door and it sits and listens as long as we do not move, the minute we do it runs away!  So we have given up trying to trap it and just make sure it has fresh food and water and a warm place to rest daily, and I pray dai!y for it, and do as much as it will allow us, it breaks my heart to know that he/she is out there but a higher power put it in our path for a reason and we will do what we can for as long as it needs us!

Honored Contributor

@CareBears That's really interesting. My cat Lucky was a stray. After I pet him outside he looked in my front window, so I opened the door, he walked in like he owned the place and made immediate friends with my other cats.

we had a feral that lived in our area but you saw glimpses of him as he ran away. That was it. I hope yours becomes friends soon 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

One time we left the garage door that leads into the house open so it could come in, he/she did, sat in the window in the sunroom, when I tried to approach it it hissed at me, it stayed for about 15 minutes then left, we know he/she uses the heated bed and the blanket that we leave in the garage daily and he/she does eat & drink daily so like I mentioned we can only pray and hope for the best that one day it will trust us!

Honored Contributor

I still can't get neat the cat.I am hoping that now that it is getting cold he will let me help.I  know that he goes somewhere during the day and shows up to be fed.I am hoping he has a place to sleep that is sheltered.

Honored Contributor

If you're concerned about shelter for an outside cat, here is something you can make for him.  It's easy and relatively inexpensive.  The plastic tote makes it weatherproof and the cat's own body heat will keep it warm.  Especially if you can put a flap over the opening once he starts using it.

Hopfully its legible since I had to take a photo of it.

IMG_0158.JPG

Honored Contributor

@geezerette Thanks for your help and that is what I wanted to do but the cat is on a property that is monitored by someone because as soon as someone leaves something there or tags the building it is all removed.

Honored Contributor

I bought all of the stuff to make the shelter but I have nowhere to put it.my husband says that I can't just go putting things on other people's property