Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stinky foods for a sick dog

@RinaRina wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

I hope the dog feels better.  There are remedies for bringing back taste and smell.  Too bad most people aren't interested in anything natural. Woman Sad

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remedies like what?  I'd be happy to pass along the info.

He's a "senior" dog -- so sadly, you know how that goes.

Thanks.

First, do they know why the dog lost his sense of smell/taste? With homeopathic you have to look at the whole picture. The remedy I am speaking about is homeopathic cell salts.  There are over 500.  The one I would try is Potassium Sulphate (Kali sulph.)  You could find it on Amazon or Vitacost.  I would advise that the person do a little research on using and dosing cell salts.  If you are familiar with using arnica pellets, it is the same type treatment.  

I brought my dog around from being diagnosed with inflammable bowel disease at 9 months with the use of cell salts.  The conventional vets wanted him on steroids, immunosuppressant drugs and Hill's Science Diet food which is Krap.  I told thanks for the diagnosis, but no thanks to their protocol.  He is going to be 6 years old soon and these have helped so much to give him a good quality of life.  

Most conventional vets will tell you boiled hamburger and rice.......sorry, but not good.  

All the best~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

My go-to is liver, beef or chicken livers.

Cook them in no/low sodium beef broth, chop or pulverize in a food processor or blender, adding a little of the cooking broth to reach the consistency you want.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Be careful with giving a dog liver,if they have not had it before,can cause diarrhea.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

When my dog was sick she loved rainbow trout and salmon.  Wouldn't have thought of it but I was eating my dinner and she came over to me and licked her chops.  I gave her my dinner that night willingly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

I hope the dog feels better.  There are remedies for bringing back taste and smell.  Too bad most people aren't interested in anything natural. Woman Sad

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remedies like what?  I'd be happy to pass along the info.

He's a "senior" dog -- so sadly, you know how that goes.

Thanks.

I brought my dog around from being diagnosed with inflammable bowel disease at 9 months with the use of cell salts. 

All the best~

Her dog definitely has "bowel" issues.  So should I tell her to research Potassium Sulphate (Kali sulph.)?  Or is the potassium one cell salt and the sulphur another one?

BTW, I know she wasted a lot of money on Science Diet food, which made him puke.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

soft boiled egg either by itself or on top of food

Valued Contributor

I just remembered that I used to warm no sodium chicken broth and gave her that before each meal.  Maybe that will help.

Esteemed Contributor

I make dog food all the time for my daughter's dog, he's a rat terrior, and doesn't like the boughten foods, but I never heard that rice isn't good for them. I use brown rice, chicken meats, some eggs sometimes, quinoa sometimes, and Sam's Club frozen mixed veggies, swish them in the food processor and add to the mixture.  After the rice is in,  I will add some sunflower oil,  just a little.

Sometimes I'll put in some leftovers from the fridge too.  My Bobby (Shih Tzu) will eat it sometimes, but prefers the Holistic boughten kind, Earthborne. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@RinaRina   Try canned tripe. I by it from Chewy dot com by the case, but your local pet store probably has it also in several brands you can buy just by the can.... here is the one I buy. Dogs LOVE IT!

E90627BC-A72B-4CFC-8547-A252591F4E6A.jpeg

@SeaMaiden 

Yes, this.  But, Lordy, the smell.

Also, re: rice 🌾 when we were trying to identify what one dog was allergic to, the Vet School 🏫 told us to feed homade lamb and rice.  Never have we had a problem with rice 🌾 +dog 🐶.

I cook for our dogs, agree - eggs, cooked liver, sardines, baked sweet potatoes 🍠 , no sugar apple 🍎 sauce.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras