Honored Contributor

Re: So tempted to adopt another dog

@Sooner wrote:

Has anyone ever asked this question and been told "don't do it?"  Woman Happy

You are so right.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

Of course, what you can do if you feel connected to this dog, is pay the adoption fees so that he has been "sponsored" and will be more likely to be adopted, if he is not the right fit for your family at this time.  

Honored Contributor

I get the whole "I want a dog/I don't want a dog" thing. I lived it after I lost my last one, and felt forced to take the one we have now as my son found her abandoned. 

She is a beautiful and sweet animal, but after her being here awhile, we notice she is having issues similar to our last rescue. When she first came, and for many many months, there were no issues, but then she started to be afraid of things, gunshots (we live rural, hunting and target practice are normal things to hear), thunder, which turned into fear of wind even without storms, and now she is afraid of the toaster (it beeps and it does sound a bit like a smoke detector, which she is also afraid of now). 

As I age, I want a bit more freedom from taking care of and doing for everyone else, and pets, especially those with issues, as they  just make more work and stress in the home. 

They also give great companionship, great love and lots of entertainment. The dog we have now really has attached to my husband, and he to her, so she is here in her forever home, along with our two rescued cats, but as these animals pass on, I really want to think long and hard before adding anymore. I think our days of multiple pets at one time need to be a thing of the past, at the very least. 

In the meantime, I will say that a big part of what makes a house a home to me, is the people and pets that you fill it with, so it's definitely a deeply personal decision, and one I don't take lightly anymore as I age, because along with all the good stuff, they can be a lot of work and commitment. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I get the whole "I want a dog/I don't want a dog" thing. I lived it after I lost my last one, and felt forced to take the one we have now as my son found her abandoned. 

She is a beautiful and sweet animal, but after her being here awhile, we notice she is having issues similar to our last rescue. When she first came, and for many many months, there were no issues, but then she started to be afraid of things, gunshots (we live rural, hunting and target practice are normal things to hear), thunder, which turned into fear of wind even without storms, and now she is afraid of the toaster (it beeps and it does sound a bit like a smoke detector, which she is also afraid of now). 

As I age, I want a bit more freedom from taking care of and doing for everyone else, and pets, especially those with issues, as they  just make more work and stress in the home. 

They also give great companionship, great love and lots of entertainment. The dog we have now really has attached to my husband, and he to her, so she is here in her forever home, along with our two rescued cats, but as these animals pass on, I really want to think long and hard before adding anymore. I think our days of multiple pets at one time need to be a thing of the past, at the very least. 

In the meantime, I will say that a big part of what makes a house a home to me, is the people and pets that you fill it with, so it's definitely a deeply personal decision, and one I don't take lightly anymore as I age, because along with all the good stuff, they can be a lot of work and commitment. 

YES! We have had numerous conversations. My husband and I are both 70. My husband walks about 3-4 miles every morning since he retired. Our previous dog enjoyed the walks until his last year and he wanted to have alot shorter walks.

If we get a puppy, he is full of zip. And will it be fair to be with a retired older couple. We easily could keep up with him now but who knows 10 years down the road. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla    Ten years from now you and dh won't be so full of zip and neither will the dog.  They slow down a lot with age too.  I have back issues and can't stand long so I "walk" my dogs using my mobility scooter.  I find my dogs adapt to my activity level.  Right now they're couch potatoes because it's too hot to be outside. 

My friend in collie rescue got an 8 week old pup from Rainshade Collies 3 years ago.  Friend is in early 80s and doesn't walk at all but is an excellent trainer.  She and Myst are doing fine together and he's one beautiful dog.

Here's the pup's picture.  You may remember it as I've posted it before.

Screenshot_20210619-191243_Amazon Photos.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

After much discussion we decided not to get a dog at the present time. We did not travel much in the past 6 years because the dog did not adjust well to change of routine. So we ended up only taking trips that he could come along. So we were limited to car trips. 

And my husband was not ready to assume the responsibility. And I don't blame him. Our dog lived outside for his first 6 years. I don't think he was ever in a house until we got him. So he liked being outdoors. BUT he would not go outside unless you were with him. So if my husband sat on the sofa, the dog would come up to him and stare. So my husband ended up taking him out at least 12 times a day plus a long walk in the morning in a park. So the dog could sniff every leaf, bush or flower. And in the afternoon they would sit outside for an hour and watch all the kids come home from school.

I know we won't get the same personality but if my husband isn't ready, I am not going to push it. He did so much for our previous dog. If he wants a break, I am going to let him have it. 

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Last week we were talking to the President of a local rescue group. He mentioned that he had a dog available. We lost our guy in September, 2020. We keep saying that we don't want another dog BUT I would love to get one.

Well today he sent out pictures and a bit of background about the dog. And a note about the dog's past stuck with me - "Prior to him coming in the rescue, the former owner did not have him to a vet as was agreed to in her contract with the breeder to get him current on vaccines. He also had 4" of matts that were shaved from him. When we rescued him, he was a docile sad looking soul but now he has come into his own."

So the breeder followed up with this person and didn't like what she saw. And then gave the dog to the rescue group. 

Unless there's not room for it and/or if other members of your household are allergic, I say go for it. God will reward you for rescuing a dog that has been mistreated and you'll be so glad you did!

Regular Contributor

We too would like another dog.  We've looked at rescue and applied, emailed and called.  No one gets back to us.  We would like a small dog and don't mind if he/she is a senior but hardly non-shed (my husband has bad allergies).  I feel we could offer a dog a great life but we don't do Facebook or Instagram so wonder if this is why no one gets back to us.  Very frustrating when there are so many dogs out there who need love.