Honored Contributor

If you feed raw, what exactly do you feed?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I feed Northwest Naturals.  Google it.  I started him on the turkey and have added the beef into the rotation.  It is not inexpensive, but when I think of what I have saved in vet bills, I feel it is well worth it.  Even if you use it by supplementing it with whatever else you are feeding now, it will be beneficial.  It comes in 5 pound frozen chubs and it is nutritionally complete.  It has the proper ratio of muscle, organ, and bone.  It also had added fruits and vegetables.  

There are other brands of raw.  Check them out.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I feed Northwest Naturals.  Google it.  I started him on the turkey and have added the beef into the rotation.  It is not inexpensive, but when I think of what I have saved in vet bills, I feel it is well worth it.  Even if you use it by supplementing it with whatever else you are feeding now, it will be beneficial.  It comes in 5 pound frozen chubs and it is nutritionally complete.  It has the proper ratio of muscle, organ, and bone.  It also had added fruits and vegetables.  

There are other brands of raw.  Check them out.

Yes, i have been checking out,i also was looking to see if any made in new england.

Honored Contributor

There's too much danger of bacterial contamination which could easily be transfered to YOU.  There's  a warning posted on the board right now.  Very common.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Pet-Lovers/Recall-of-Albright-s-Raw-Dog-Food-Salmonella-contamination/t...

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There's too much danger of bacterial contamination which could easily be transfered to YOU.  There's  a warning posted on the board right now.  Very common.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Pet-Lovers/Recall-of-Albright-s-Raw-Dog-Food-Salmonella-contamination/t...

I know, i add raw meat, to my dog ,started to say dogs, hard to break that,  so just looking into it.

Honored Contributor

I fed raw dog food to my dogs for many years. I would toss whole chickens uncooked into the yard and let my dogs chew away. Never did I have a sick dog or did I get sick. They ate lots  of raw uncooked chicken wings....UN COOKED is the key to feeding bones.  Raw liver....raw beef with bone ground in...

Today I do not  do the raw mostly because raw food feeding is a commitment...not to be taken lightly.  I do not have the access to the raw dog food like I did when I was working in a natural foods store.

I will add to this post, that all  my dogs on raw food all lived to be old...14 or so.  My Golden Lola who died from liver cancer  last March,  was not even 10 yet....I fed her  dry and canned. High quality food, but not raw.   

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I fed raw dog food to my dogs for many years. I would toss whole chickens uncooked into the yard and let my dogs chew away. Never did I have a sick dog or did I get sick. They ate lots  of raw uncooked chicken wings....UN COOKED is the key to feeding bones.  Raw liver....raw beef with bone ground in...

Today I do not  do the raw mostly because raw food feeding is a commitment...not to be taken lightly.  I do not have the access to the raw dog food like I did when I was working in a natural foods store.

I will add to this post, that all  my dogs on raw food all lived to be old...14 or so.  My Golden Lola who died from liver cancer  last March,  was not even 10 yet....I fed her  dry and canned. High quality food, but not raw.   

I  know you also are just tired of losing dogs to cancer,   i just  wonder about exactly what is causing this, genes, food, vaccine's.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest    

I really think Goldens are just genetically prone to cancer from so much breeding, wonderful dogs....but sadly odds are that you will lose your golden young.  I think anything under 10 is too young. 

I was careful about vaccinations with Lola. After the age of 6 stopped rabies all together...I only gave her parvovirus  shot. 

I fed her Medicinal  mushrooms and other herbs for immune health etc...raw kale. Broccoli.... her entire life.  Even filtered water

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden My 2 dogs never ate any thing raw except carrots and lived to be 12 1/2 and 15 1/2 respectively.

14 is average for most dogs............................

Valued Contributor

I buy Dr. Mercola's Dehydrated Raw Beef Entree. It is insanely expensive but my baby is only 7 pounds and eats very little. It has fruit and veggies in it, organ meets, and the beef is USA grass fed. It is so convenient because you add a little water to a few pieces and in 5-10 minutes its ready to eat.