Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla    Collies are often very sensitive to loud noises.  However, I had to go wake up my avatar Collie, Jett, as the bottle rockets my idiot neighbor was setting off, fell all around him.   Most laid-back dog ever. 

WOW! Good to hear.

If I was washing dishes and a dish would slip out of my hands because of my soapy hands and if it made a clatter. The dish would only fall a couple of inches. Our collie would jump up and just look.

Now if I make a loud noise (even though the dog has been gone for a year) I still apologize to him.

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Aww, @Boomernichols , I feel for you (and your pup).  I've had 6 collies, all of whom were not bothered by thunder or fireworks.  But my lab/boxer mix was petrified.  Funny too, because she was the toughest dog I ever owned.  She was gutsy and strong and powerful and not afraid of anything or anybody -- except fireworks and thunder.  

In her case, there was nothing you could do to calm her.  Once the storm (or fireworks) started, she would go hide in the bathroom.  Of course, at 90 pounds she couldn't really hide, but I believe she thought she was hiding. haha. I found the best thing to do was to just leave her alone. Anytime I'd go in the bathroom and try to calm her, whether it be petting her or speaking to her softly, it only seemed to make the situation worse.  

I hope you find a solution that works for you.  It's heartbreaking to see them frightened.  

@Citrine1    I've heard that comforting a pet just reinforces their fears, and I believe it's true.  I try to act nonchalant 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Try a what we call a Thunderbox:  My husband got a large box, we turned it on its side and put the softest lamb skin, or any cushion/ blanket in it- That's it. And when it thunders ( or any loud noises) we pull it out for her. It's like a doggy den and she goes right in and it seems to calm her. I adore Westies! Best wishes to Buddy! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   Yes, I agree.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for your little Buddy.

Fireworks are so dangerous and should never, ever be set off by anyone other than a professional.

I had several Shelties (at different times) who were terrified of fireworks. Shaking, almost crying...We would take them in the bedroom and turn up the TV as loud as possible and give them reassuring hugs. It did help.

I wish I had a better answer but wishing you both the best.

Super Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

Last night my west highland terrier that I purchased in August had a horrendous night.  Buddy was in a hunkered down position and barked constantly and ran.  The NEW YEAR fireworks in our neighborhood scared my little man something awful.  All the vets in north Miss. that I use are closed today.  I drove 26 miles to a Tractor Supply and bought Calming Chews, wish me luck.  He is 6 months old and I had no idea he would be freaked out so hope this helps tonight.  ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED.

One of the reasons I hate New Years Eve and 4th of July.  They should have dedicated areas for fireworks and it should be illegal to set them off in residential areas.  I am not sure if the Thundershirts would work for a dog that frightened.  I would ask the vet for help.  I doubt over the counter chews work and might do more harm than good.

Super Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

I sympathize. My last dog was very upset by fireworks. (And thunder and Trick or Treaters....) At the time I had neighbors that put on quite a (drunken) fireworks show several times a year even tho' at that time fireworks were illegal in our state. My little dog went berserk. I would go into a room in the back of the house and hold him. Not a 100% solution but it helped him feel a little more secure.

I also called the police. Did some good but then luckily those neighbors moved. Lucky, too, because our state then made most fireworks legal soon after.

You might try a Thundershirt. My daughter's cat has the same anxiety and she says the shirt helps. Not 100% but an improvement. I know some vets will give sedatives but my dog had so many health problems that wasn't recommended.

It's all about politics.  Most people selling fireworks are connected.  To hell with people, pets and property.  We have very high fire danger so fireworks can literally kill.  I have pictures of fire works tents selling this garbage while the whole background is on fire with helicopters trying to put out the giant wildfire.  They did not stop selling the stuff which would have made sense and we spent two days terrified and fearing for our property.  The best part was the fire trucks protecting the tent while people lost their houses.

Esteemed Contributor

Look at desensitization techniques and training.  It works in many different situations such as thunder. sirens any loud sudden noises.  Teaching them not to be afraid is so much better than reinforcing fears or medications.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

We had a dog petrified of thunderstorms.  We called him our storm chaser, because with the first boom of thunder, he was out the doggy door running circles in the yard and barking at the sky.  We tried many things listed in this thread.  Toward the end of his life, we finally found the one thing that helped and that was to put him in his kennel not as punishment but so that he would feel safe.  We gave him treats and made it out to be a big deal.  We let him out as soon as the storm was over.  Barking completely ceased while he was in his kennel, and he would sleep. We never tried medications as our vet didn't suggest it, but with our current dog (that has numerous anxiety issues) we have learned that there are many safe drugs that can help, since they're used on an as-needed basis.  Of course, one doesn't know when a thunderstorm might hit, but one can usually plan for fireworks.

Respected Contributor

I feel for your little Buddy! I hope he's feeling more serene now. Stupid humans!!

I had a lab/terrier mix. He was scared of thunder and fireworks. The minute he heard them, he'd get up and go to the bathroom and close himself in. It got to the point that he liked it in there so much that he'd sleep and nap in there as much as possible. He learned to let himself in and out and the doorknob had teeth marks and dents in it. lol Luckily, we had 2 bathrooms at that time. We'd try not to disturb him, but when we had to use it; he refused to leave! I miss my Bucky,