Honored Contributor

Tonight I turned on Frankie's new electric toothbrush and let her hear it and then lightly brushed her hair with it. Then I put some peanut butter on it and let her lick it off. It was off. Then I embedded some peanut butter down in the bristles and turned it on. At this point, smelling peanut butter, the dingo came over to see what was going on. Howie has never shown any fear or been taken aback by anything other than the sound of a shotgun. The vibrating noise of the toothbrush didn't bother him but when he stuck his tongue to the vibrating toothbrush, you thought he had been shocked.  He went back to bed.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm Good luck in your dental journey with Frankie.    My westie will snap if you try to give him a pill.     We have to hide them in different treats to administer meds.

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh, doing my dog's nails is like a survival course. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make it, if I went at his teeth with an electric toothbrush.

Otherwise, he's the biggest (Lab/GSD), sweetest cuddle bug. He just sees grooming activities as punishment that he doesn't understand. Oh, how I hate grooming days. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Phase one is complete

[ Edited ]

Phase 2 went too good. Didn't expect things to go that well at all. I'm suspicious. I let her lick some of the doggie toothpaste from the tube. The dingo came in see what he was missing out on. He's smarter than she is and went back to bed.  

I brushed her teeth without the vibration. Then I put some more doggie toothpaste on the brush, turned it on and let her lick it.  I couldn't believe how easily she licked the toothpaste off of the vibrating brush. I added some more toothpaste to the brush turned it back on and started brushing her teeth. There was minor struggling but she did so much better than I thought she would at this early stage.   it's encouraging.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols 

Frankie hasn't required any medication other than her 3 months bravecto chewy and she will eat that on her own. The dingo is a different story. We have to cut that in half and just stick it down his throat. Both dogs will eat their Petco allergy chewy  (Howie doesn't need one, just gets one so he doesn't get his feelings hurt).  When it comes to his hip and Joint chewy, we have to break that up in his food. He won't eat it by itself.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch 

Frankie lets us do her nails with no problem. Once again, the dingo is a different story. It's hard to believe he's the best dog we've ever had but he really is. Frankie and he are Polar Opposites . He is so good in every way, except having his nails clipped, that he's almost not real. A fictional perfect canine.  We have to put a muzzle on him  for nail trimming and they have to do the same at the vet's.

Oh wow, a lab/ GSD mix!  What an awesome dog he must be!

Honored Contributor

Night 3.  I wouldn't go as far as saying she likes it, but except for ME getting the hang of actually brushing her teeth, it was a success.  She's good with me sticking an electric toothbrush in her mouth (yes, with it on) and brushing her teeth.  I'm going to buy some of the Greenies tho to supplement brushing.  

Honored Contributor

Frankie  continues to get better with having her teeth brushed and I'm getting better at brushing them.  Also bought some Greenies.

Respected Contributor

You are doing great @monicakm ! I have never even attempted it on our cats!

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

When I had a dog, I just bought greenies. He loved them. Good for you getting him used to the electric toothbrush.