Respected Contributor

Re: Petunia is still clawing & biting............

@Sooner   It's funny you would say that, because my last cat (now deceased) had the same problem with my only ceiling fan in the dining room.  She would run upstairs and refuse to return unless I turned it off.

Cats are weird creatures of habit too.  I always have a throw that I put over my legs when I sit on the reclining sofa chair.  My current cat, Al, loves to jump up on it and lay on my legs.  I recently changed to a different blanket, and he was terrified to get on it.  He was actually jumping over it and sitting on the arm of the sofa instead!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde I think if I ever start to know why cats think what they think, I will WORRY!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Yes, she belongs to one our strays. We brought her in at 6wks when she got injured. I think it was 7 wks. ago.  At first you could hold her and she was calm and lovey dovey. Once in a while she will curl up and sleep on your shoulder but until she gets tired, she is a tornado w/claws.

@geezerette   She has a lot of toys and she plays with them.  One especially she beats the living daylights out of. It's as tall as she is but she grabs the top in her mouth and drags it across the LR. She will be running around and suddenly jump up DD's leg (leaving claw marks) and grab her around the forearm and go to town on her.

This morning she was on the back of my recliner and gently took her paws and touched my face, then gently touched my hair. She wasn't mean so I just sat quietly. Then the 3rd touch had the tips of the claws in my head. I reached up and took her paws and said No. When I turned to look at her I got the innocent Petunia face. Innocent my Aunt Fanny.  She's a pill.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Do you have scratching posts in your house?  I have a vertical sisal covered post and a large horizontal cardboard scratching post and a smaller cardboard one.  Henry prefers the vertical sisal covered one.

He also has a cat tree in front of a window.  I have a bird feeder outside the window for him to watch.  

I trim his nails every four weeks.  Do you and/or your daughter trim Petunia's nails?  It really helps.  I can definitely tell when it's time to trim Henry's.  I have a feeling Petunia will grow out of this, but you do need to be firm like you've been doing to train her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Your very descriptive reply had me visualizing and chuckling (been there, done that).  I know it's not funny when a cat gets their claws or teeth into you, though.  My Al was a lot like that when he was little.  He still runs through the house like a tornado.  He would hit my foot as I was lifting it to walk up or down the stairs......that's no laughing matter.  I used to tell him, "If you kill me, who else will take you?"

Be firm with her, as she is going to try your patience.  At this point in time, all I have to do is yell his name when he starts doing something bad, and he stops.  It will be worth it, but it won't happen overnight.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack   She has a good size scratching post.  She uses it alot but I think she prefers flesh. lol

When she's done scratching on the post she climbs on top and lays on her stomach on the 4" round top with all 4 paws just hanging there. 

She favorite thing is too see how far across the room she can get without touching the floor.  Chair to end table, to another chair (usually across my comuter keys), jumps to my walker seat, then to the coffee table. The she sits there and looks at us like we should clap.

I swear she's a toddler in a cat suit.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   My best advice during those running rampages is never to sit on the sofa in shorts.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack   I told my daughter we should have the vet trim her talons, oops nails.

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde   Learned that lesson.  Not shorts but a knee length night shirt.  I keep an afghan over my lap and legs.

We know if she takes a long cap nap in late afternoon we are in for it during the evening. She is rested and ready to rumble.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@NickNack   I told my daughter we should have the vet trim her talons, oops nails.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I know what you mean about talons.  That's how I feel about Henry's when they need to be trimmed.  I am extremely lucky in that I have a friend who comes over every four weeks and trims them while I hold him.  I was determined to learn to do it myself, but I couldn't hold him and trim them at the same time.  It seems to be easy for her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau