Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pet lovers - I need your help!

All dogs are different, I would not ask medical advice from a shopping channel forum. Take the dog to the vet ASAP and good luck to you and your dog. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always have German Shepherd dogs and some have had some type of allergy.  Years ago my vet recommended Avon's skin so soft. Just one or two spritzs on your hands (once a day) and rub it one the dog before he/she goes out to play. You can also spray it on their brush or comb. With my long haired dogs I started to spritz their brush or them with Wen replenshing mist (sweet almond mint) once a day during the peak seasons.

I always have the flea spot treatment on them 12 months but certain seasons require a little more. There seems to be something with the leaves this year that is creating an enviroment for this. This works for us but if it persists then call your vet.

I'm not sure what dog shampoo you use but my one dog has sensitive skin so I switched to an oatmeal shampoo for dogs and she is so much better now.

Good luck.

Contributor

My lab mix scratched himself down to the skin on his hip one summer and it took about a year for the fur to grow back.  I took him to our vet and was given a spray to use on him 2 to 3 times a day.  This stopped his scratching and the fur grew back healthy as ever but again this past summer he started scratching in the very same spot.  Again my vet suggested the spray and it took only  a couple of days using this method and he stopped his chewing and scratching of this area. The fur was never disrupted this time and he no longer scratches this area.  The vet indicated it might be a seasonal allergy and if we could find something that works, we would not need injections or other tests.  Good luck when you return to the vet.  Your pet deserves a professional opinion and ask for options to  steroids if you do not want them used on your pet.  There are other options and a good vet would try accomodate you and your pet.  You have a voice, just use it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@apple1964 wrote:

All dogs are different, I would not ask medical advice from a shopping channel forum. Take the dog to the vet ASAP and good luck to you and your dog. 

ROFLMAO!!

Whenver I need advice, the QVC forum is the first place I think of.  There are some very smart people on these boards with a plethora of LIFE EXPERIENCE, thus enabling them to render exceptionally good advice.

90% of the time, I come here first;  especially regarding pets.  In fact, pets, beauty, fashion, computers .. whatever!  I come here first.

Woman Wink

BTW, the OP clearly stated she did not want to go to her vet and was seeking "homeopathic" remedies. 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

A few years back our Silky Terriers started scratching up a storm and we cut ALL the CORN out of their diet and problem solved. At the time I was unaware of corn being the #1 ingredient (or in the top 5 ingredients) of most dog food. Not good. Made my boys itchy so now Blue Buffalo for them and their lovely coats. No more scratchin' and no more corn!

Trusted Contributor

I'm not suggesting that this will be the answer, but many times feeding the dog a grain free food helps with the scratching and itching.