Regular Contributor

We lost our sweet boy Casey just two weeks ago today.  My heart is broken and I cannot imagine a day that I will not miss his prescence in my life.  Several days ago I received an invitation in honor of Casey,from our vets,  for a pet memorial candle service.  There will be a small prayer service led by a monsignor from a local church and refreshments afterwards  Our vets (whom we are blessed to say are our next door neighbors) just openend their own veterinary hospital one year ago.  They feel it is important to honor all the lost friends of this past year. I have never heard of such a service but feel it is a beautiful idea. I am wondering if anyone has heard or attended such a service? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pet Memorial Candle Service

[ Edited ]

@Bubbles219  I am so sorry for your loss, just nothing worse.  I encourage you to go and honor your sweet Casey.  It is not easy, but the love and support will ultimately help you through this difficult time.  Yes, I had a candlelight service when my precious girl  passed.  Much love and light to you and your boy who will always have each other in your hearts.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet boy.

I hope this ceremony keeps him in your heart and makes you feel close to him always.

That is such a lovely thing to do.

I have not heard of this but I have had organizations hold the candles on a lake in memory of someone or one of our family member pets.

I got a candle for my granddogs.

The candles are in lanterns and it is beautiful to see all the lanterns on the lake.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Bubbles219  I'm so sorry for your loss.  I've never heard of a Vet doing this but think it's such a nice idea.  I hope you will go.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Bubbles219, i am so sorry for your loss of Casey.  What a lovely gesture from your vet.  Ours does light a candle in honor at the passing of every pet, which I also think is very nice.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

So sorry for your loss. I have not heard of this before. But, it sounds like a wonderful gesture. HUGS!

Honored Contributor

@Bubbles219 wrote:

We lost our sweet boy Casey just two weeks ago today.  My heart is broken and I cannot imagine a day that I will not miss his prescence in my life.  Several days ago I received an invitation in honor of Casey,from our vets,  for a pet memorial candle service.  There will be a small prayer service led by a monsignor from a local church and refreshments afterwards  Our vets (whom we are blessed to say are our next door neighbors) just openend their own veterinary hospital one year ago.  They feel it is important to honor all the lost friends of this past year. I have never heard of such a service but feel it is a beautiful idea. I am wondering if anyone has heard or attended such a service? 

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Casey. I know the pain you're feeling as does any of us who has lost their fur baby.  The service sounds like a beautiful way to honor your Casey.

When we lost our first beagle (as a married couple...I had many growing up), we planted a rose garden where we buried her ashes. Each year around Mother's Day, a yellow rose appears to let me know Sophie and I are still together in spirit.

Honored Contributor

@Foolywooly11-

I just want to tell you that the picture of your beautiful is he a boy? makes me cry.

My 3 loving granddogs were pits-my hearts-I've never known such incredible loveable dogs!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

The closest thing I know to what you're describing was an online custom in at least one pet bereavement group from some years back that may still be going on. The suggested that you to remember your dear animals who are no longer here in fur and feathers by lighting a candle at 9 p.m. on Monday nights and just thinking about your friend for a few minutes. As I said, I don't know whether the group still does this or how widespread it became, but it seemed like a lovely tradition because it was private, yet you were also connecting with all of those other people and their animals.

All I know is I found it very helpful through the worst of it.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

The closest thing I know to what you're describing was an online custom in at least one pet bereavement group from some years back that may still be going on. The suggested that you to remember your dear animals who are no longer here in fur and feathers by lighting a candle at 9 p.m. on Monday nights and just thinking about your friend for a few minutes. As I said, I don't know whether the group still does this or how widespread it became, but it seemed like a lovely tradition because it was private, yet you were also connecting with all of those other people and their animals.

All I know is I found it very helpful through the worst of it.

I remember how we used to do that on a regular basis. We could talk about the recent losses of our furbabies. It was slso a chance to send up group prayers for all lost, neglected, abused, sick, homeless and otherwise needy animals.