Honored Contributor

Pennsylvania mystery animal determined to be coyote

[ Edited ]

Update: The website for the rescue reports the animal wasn't found and its DNA profile came back as 100% coyote.

The website was mentioned in a post made earlier. It's an open Facebook page, anyone can view it. No need to be a member.

Wildlife Works-Mount Pleasant

The results are in! Our "mystery animal" DNA sample came back, 100% coyote!

Thank you again to everyone who has supported us and followed this story. We are so thankful!

If you're following the story of the mystery animal rescued in Pennsylvania, you'll have seen the pics of the animal the shelter is testing to determine if it's a dog or perhaps coyote.

A woman found the starving, shivering animal, lured him into her garage, and contacted a local rescue that is now caring for him.

I'm thinking dog, based on what I remember of the story of Aristotle, a terrier mix who was part of the Best Friends guardian angel program years ago. Ari came in almost hairless as well, back in 2009.

At least the little guy is warm and fed now.

Mystery canine

76B92C6F-632A-428A-9FC1-1C1F1ED30017.jpeg

Aristotle from Best Friends getting a t-shirt to protect his skin

FED1B658-94CA-4440-AE9F-93F1C0A506E6.jpeg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Pennsylvania mystery animal

@GingerPeach  Poor baby, breaks my heart !!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

If you  hear of the dna results , please let us all know.

His  fur  looks a brindle colored to me  like the Great Danes or Grey Hounds 

Honored Contributor

I read that dogs, coyotes, and wolves can breed with each other.  There was some speculation this one was a coyote-dog mix.

Honored Contributor

Looks like a coyote with mange to me. 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I read that dogs, coyotes, and wolves can breed with each other.  There was some speculation this one was a coyote-dog mix.

Yes, of course they can.

Recently wolf-dogs were lost in North Carolina, and there are even specific sanctuaries for wolf dogs. I haven't looked into coyote dogs, but the reports mention there are quite a number of those in the PA area in particular.

The reports say they won't get the DNA results for a few weeks. They are leaning more toward dog due to the current lack of aggression. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

For me It doesn't matter what breed of animal, what is important is that it was saved and is being cared for. I thank the woman for her compassion and kindness, she saved this animal and is a hero..  I know it is in good hands now and the rescue group will do what they can for the animal, that in itself is comforting.

Bless all who take care of animals,  I am thankful for each and every one.

Honored Contributor

I read about this but had only seen the initial picture.  Thank you for posting this @GingerPeach .  I will be very interested in hearing the DNA results.  Since they're leaning towards thinking he's a dog, I'll bet he is.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Looks like a coyote with a bad skin condition.  Glad it's being taken care of.  

Respected Contributor

looks like an emaciated dog with mange or mites.