Honored Contributor

On a pet prescription description...

My little dog had a small relapse on her Pancretitis problem. She'll have to stay on Hill's diet food for life. No other way, it's ok.

But one of her pill prescriptions she got late yesterday, says: don't stop abruptly. In the description of the pills, but it does say, do according to doctor's prescription. Well if you do the prescription to the end, it will end abruptly. Is this a silly question? I'll ask the vet on Friday when I see him, unless someone else here has a clue & has been through this before. Have you ever had a pet prescription say that?

Honored Contributor

Re: On a pet prescription description...

I'd call the vet immediately.  It just takes a minute.  A week is a long amount of time for a small fur baby.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I did, it perplexed me too much. She said, it's more of a pain medication so it can be slowed down as we see how she is doing. So I feel better now, I didn't know that's what it was. Only 3 days to go...but I have to know for her sake. Big relief.

Esteemed Contributor

When some medications are given long term, stopping abruptly may cause some problems.  Short term they are fine as prescribed.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

When some medications are given long term, stopping abruptly may cause some problems.  Short term they are fine as prescribed.

@CrazyDaisy, Oh that makes the best sense. Short term being 7 days maybe? See no one says that. Or said it to us that way. Sure would help. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Some medications aren't safe to just stop taking abruptly and need to have the dose reduced over time before stopping. Prednisone is one example. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Some prescriptions meds for for animals - and us hoomins - must be titrated, not abruptly stopped.