Honored Contributor

http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/

Start here.  The American Kennel Club is a good resource and on its website you can find information for so many breeds.  They organize breeds by category, like best family dog breeds, best dog breed for kids, and so on.  Boxers are wonderful with children but there are health issues to consider.  Research, research, research.  It's smart to know the breeds' characteristics even if you end up with a mixed breed.  Are there any no-kill shelters or breed rescues in your area?  Do you have a PetSmart adoption clinic?

Let each family member do some research and come up with a list of favorites, then compare.  There are breeds I love but know I couldn't live with.  It's important that you know their personalities and requirements.  And do consider adopting a mixed breed.  There are so many great dogs out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asnbU7m-z5o

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Re: O/t favorite dog breed

[ Edited ]

When my lifestyle was different, I always had Westies (West Highland White Terriers) but now I have 2 rescued Scottish Fold cats.

Sadly we are  not home enough for a dog!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I had a mixed breed bassett/ english setter once - he was adorable. A very smart dog. Then I had weimarners. Very smart and easy to train dogs but high energy so they have to be able to run free daily for about an hour at least.We had a very large yard and would leave the dog out for hours, she would play and chase the squirrels, bunnies and deer. Most medium to large dogs need a lot of exercise. 

Honored Contributor

For a small dog, I would highly recommend a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  I've had five CKCS's through the years.  They are a very wonderful and special breed.  They love children and anyone they come in contact with.  They do shed a lot, though, so you would need to be prepared to vacuum your furniture and your floors.

Another small dog that I love is a shih tzu.  My sister has one, and she is absolutely perfect.  They don't shed, but do need to see a Vet regularly to be clipped if you don't want to maintain their long hair.  Shih Tzus are good with children, too.

For a large dog I would recommend a golden retriever.  They are very loving and good with children.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I am very partial to Boxers.  But, they need training and all of mine have been very high energy.  They are a very stubborn breed and have to know who is in charge.

They can also have a lot of health issues and are very prone to cancers.  My vet used to say that if there was an oddball illness, a Boxer will get it.

We have had 7 boxers and with the exception of the 1 we have now, they have all died from cancer. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with just bee, go to AKC site and look through the breeds and characteristics. Then should you decide to go to a shelter or search for a specific breeder, you will have more knowledge to make your selection.  

With Children in and out of the house, good to get a friendly pup.

I also have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, love her! Expensive and select only Breeder of Merit through AKC. They are lap dogs.

image.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: O/t favorite dog breed

[ Edited ]

Image result for yellow labrador retrieverYellow Labrador Retriever is our fav Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I'm a big dog lover and have nearly always had one. Akitas are by far my favorite. My Ranger is the sweetest dog I've ever had. Got him at 4 months old and he's now 9.

Training a larger dog takes patience and sometimes brute strength but I've never minded. I have always spent ALOT of time training because a big dog will often 'get in the way' of things and people just by their size. My boy is 110lbs and a bit small actually.

Akitas have a average lifespan of 11 years but I'm hoping my boy hangs on longer as so far he has no health issues at all.

I sometimes tell myself that after Ranger passes I won't get another dog because I would be able to not have to vacuum 4x/day because of his shedding, but I know I'll get another dog because I'll miss it too much. Next time though I will adopt from a shelter.

Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy it!

Esteemed Contributor

for 15 1/2 years we had a minature poodle (around the size of a beagle)  and it was the  best of our years of different dogs we had owned....they were all great and loved....but the minature poodle had no flaws.....just a great addition to our family ....and didn't shed!!!  My kids had allergies and they weren't bothered with the purebred poodle.  Good luck and enjoy the lucky dog you pick.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had four beagles in my life. I love the breed. They are great with kids but can be very stubborn. I don't mind that because they are so lovable. They're also great watch dogs, howling if strangers, or squirrels, come near. They do live by their noses so they should be kept on a leash, or a cable, or a fenced yard outside to prevent them from roaming off on a scent.