Valued Contributor

Anyone have any success with a no bite spray; and if so, which one?  Our new puppy, 9 week old Westie, is teething and constantly biting and nipping at ankles, etc.  We need something to discourage him and just saying no and no bite is not working.  Suggestions please.

Honored Contributor

Does he have lots of chew toys?  He needs some Nylabones for puppies and other chew toys.  Every time he starts biting give him one of those toys.  I don't know what no bite spray is, but I wouldn't spray anything on/at him when he starts biting.  (Maybe that isn't what you do with the spray.)

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor
Gently put your puppy in their crate to give them a chance to calm down and prevent them from biting.

It's very important to make sure that they don't learn to associate the crate with punishment, so be calm.

Once the pup calms down, you can let them out.Sep 10, 2020

How to Stop Puppy Biting – American Kennel Club

look on their website for ideas - HUMANE ideas.

Valued Contributor

My dog trainer said keep a spray bottle of water and spray lightly in the face while saying NO.  I have had westies most of my adult life, they are smart enough to get it quickly.  I found the spray bottle of water works well for teaching not to run after bikes, skateboards, etc. while on leash also.  Westies are the best!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: No Bite Spray Reviews

[ Edited ]

First of all, @patticakes , you need to realize you have two different things going on.  Your puppy's nipping and biting at ankles has nothing to do with them teething!  Teething will cause a puppy to chew on furniture, shoes, clothes, etc to relieve the pain in their sore gums.  There are special teething toys sold for puppies that you can even put in the freezer, just as you would a clean washcloth for a human baby.  (Do NOT give a frozen washcloth to your puppy, they will swallow it and need major surgery to save their life.)  You can also use baby Anbesol, I believe, although the formula may have changed over the years, so check with your veterinarian first. 

Now, on to the ankle biting.  What your puppy is doing is learning to herd you the way a Border Collie herds sheep.  Not all puppies try to herd their humans, and one would think terriers would not, but I've had Scotties pass formal Herding Instinct tests, so I'm not surprised your Westie pup is working on you. 

What you need to do to halt the ankle nipping is the same thing you do to stop any mouthing behavior.  Unlike biting, thankfully, herding is not caused by too-early weaning and removal from the mother and siblings, so it is easier to halt than biting.  Every time your puppy starts to bite your ankles, stop walking, stand still, and scream BLOODY MURDER!  I mean like you are literally going to die of blood loss right there on the spot.  Odds are that will distract your puppy for a moment, and you can then toss a toy to finish the distraction.  It means you need to carry several small toys with you for a while, and get everyone else in the house to do the same, but your puppy will probably learn that nipping ankles is not okay and start directing the nipping at their toys, leading them to throwing and tossing the toys and perhaps even retrieving them.   You can even incorporate teaching the retrieve by using the scream/toy toss to interrupt the nipping/herding, then calling the puppy after it grabs the toy, and offering a small treat in trade.  If you interact with the puppy by training the retrieve, that will further the extinction of the nipping.  Above all else, DO NOT run away when the pup nips your ankles, that is EXACTLY what your puppy wants you to do, so they can chase and herd you some more.  Remember, herding is an instinctive behavior that is a descendent behavior from the stalk/chase/kill behavior of wild canids such as wolves.  It is hard-wired into the canine mind, so distraction is far more successful than punishment in changing it.

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP  With my Jack Russells I've used a drink can with rocks inside then tape on top. When they go after ankles drop the can near them and they hate the noise. 
 There is a pet aerosol can with just air that makes a sound also. 
  Like your screaming that does work, I've blown a whistle, or pretended to cry. They hate it. 
  Jack Russells invent games, like chasing socks if feet walk fast. Mine did it today for the first time in ages.I just stopped and looked at her, said "no" and she stopped.