Respected Contributor

I Will say thank you to most here for your pro advice on neutering,  good reasons and explanations...I do appreciate your  time and knowledge.   Will be considering everything and go foward to my vet...thank you!!  

Honored Contributor

Re: NEUTER OR NOT?? BOSCO

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin - DH is a veterinarian. He always recommends neutering, so I asked him to give you one good reason. He said your boy would be less aggressive around other dogs.

ETA: He's a cutie!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@Effie54 , mostly I'm taking my vets advice.   I came here to hear quality, informative opinions.  Of course I'm doing much research also.   I'll be weighing everything out,  and will make my decision after I present all info to my vet for further guidance.   Many here have much background experience, so it can be helpful.   Does that answer your question??

Yea, that's cool. It's a personal decision, of course. Your dog is sooooooo adorable! I forgot to mention that. That sweet face. 

Honored Contributor

Absolutely yes.  The dog we lost nearly 2 years ago came to us at 18 months old, only 1 vet visit and not neutered.  

A single woman who had never had a dog before, purchased this German Shepherd pup from the breeder, for protection.  In 18 months she succeeded in turning the dog into a neurotic mess that destroyed the inside of her mobile home and nearly got her evicted from the trailer park.  

Thankfully the woman kept her promise and turned the dog back over to the breeder once he became a handful, which is how he came to us.  The breeders vet had checked the dog and suggested medication to calm him down, but the breeder did not want to do that, and she would only let us have him if he was going to have more access to the outdoors.   

This dog was a mess and had to be taught how to be a dog.  Our vet said NO meds, put him outside, so he went from a prissy house dog with a wardrobe to a fine guard dog outside, and it started with neutering.  We never bothered to get his registry papers; that wasn't important to us, but he was an important part of our family for 10 years.  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin. @Sooner.  Sounds like you came here with your mind made up and was hoping to find a person or two to agree with you.   Why even ask?

It's you who will have to accept the consequences of your decision.  Once his actions become habits it will be too late to change them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Sorry your a such a negative person @Kachina624 , I've seen this in numerous posts from you.  Not everything is so awful with sad consequences as you mention.   I'm truly sad you see most ,as the glass half empty.   

Trust me, I'll be taking the utmost, positive care my boy, as I've always done...and there are alot of positive, informative posts here that I value, and are helpful...which I'm considering...yeah....thats why I came here...

Honored Contributor

If you choose to neuter a large male  dog, it should be done after puberty to avoid skeletal abnormalities which is usually 14 months.  It can lead to leg bones growing unevenly and they're 4x more likely to get bone cancer.

There are advantages and disadvantages to neutering.  

Neutering 100% guarantees there will be no testicular cancer, but it increases the risk for the deadly cancer Hemangiosarcomia which is common in Labs.

There is no right or wrong answer. There are pro and cons.  You need to decide what is best for your dog.

I always get my females neutered after two heats, but my last two male dogs were not neutered.

The Vet tried to get me to neuter them ($$$) when they were eight years old, but there was no reason to.  I didn't let them run, they weren't aggressive, and didn't mark.  

My Vet runs his business based on how much money he can make.  I have pushed back with him many times.

I was happy with my decision for those dogs.  In the future, I would neuter a male if I thought I needed to only after puberty.

I wouldn't automatically just do it as Vets used to recommend.  There is more info out there now and it's worth checking into it.

There is no one size fits all.  Do more research before you decide.

Respected Contributor

I had a little Shih Tzu that I didn't have neutered.  When he was about 12 he developed prostatitis.  By that time he was too old to put under and he passed away.

Respected Contributor

Our local SPCA neuters/spays very low cost, even free for seniors.  

To me it is a no brainer, I would never want to risk my pet contributing to the over population, so many pets are euthanized daily due to over population.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin If you think he' s bossy now, wait a year. You'll be sorry you didn't have him neutered. This is a known fact.