Respected Contributor

20240110_165318.jpg

Respected Contributor
  1. 20240110_165147.jpg
Esteemed Contributor

So cute.

We always spay our females. So I say yes to neutering Bosco.

Honored Contributor

Is there a reason you would not?

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely neuter, without doubt because it's health protective:

"decreases the chances of developing prostatic disease and hernias, and eliminates the chances of developing testicular cancer. It also reduces problems with territorial and sexual aggression, inappropriate urination (spraying) and other undesirable male behaviors."

Copied and pasted above....

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Respected Contributor

Bosco is 16 months.  Had his check up recently.   He's a Chocolate Lab.  I've discussed neutering him with our vet.  The only advantage I see so far is, lowered testosterone,  possibly reduced risk of cancer, yet other cancers may prevail, and of course not mating him.  I don't plan on having his puppy for myself,  as he's going to be the last large breed I can handle.   My children might like his puppy,  but that's way down the line, as they have enough of their own right now.  

Vet explained,  absolutely no guarantee on any behavior, calmness, or training benefits to have him neutered...hes a HIGH energy lab..Chocolates are the highest in the breed.   He's already very trainable, but he doesn't like when I'm out.  I'd say a bit of separation anxiety,  but nothing bad.  Again, neutering,  no guarantee on that.

Hes slightly underweight,  5 lbs, and eats more than he should...neutering would help him gain weight. 

I dont see any good reason to neuter him, but seems vet and staff advises it.  May, or may calm him down...hes definitely bossy to my other lab, Gabriel,  but he submits when Gabe says, ENOUGH.  He's overall a really good, sweet boy...67 lbs, but very hyper at times.  Yet, he's responding nicely to my commands, he really tries.  He's still a puppy brain.  So why neutering him??

Cost is $660 includes all pre bloodwork,  pain meds, collar, micro chip and aftercare.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin,  you decide to not neuter.  Jump ahead one year and during a routine checkup a small lump is discovered in Bosco's scrotum.  Vet does a biopsy and it comes back as an aggressive form of cancer.

At that diagnosis do you remember this conversation and regret that because of cost and no guarantees that neutering totally prevents cancer you decided there was no reason to neuter?

If such an event happens could you live with yourself knowing that you could have possibly prevented the cancer by neutering?

If the cost is a stumbling block do a little research and find a low cost/free neuter service.  Your vet, local animal control or local Humane Society can likely direct you to such services.

Better yet, suggest to your vet that s/he follow the practice of my vet's office.  Once a month my vet sponsors a low cost spay/neuter clinic for cats and dogs

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

I love chocolates!  We had two sisters, Carly and Reese.  I'm in the neuter camp.  He's still young enough that it will most likely help with being a hyper nut lol  If this isn't your first Lab, you know they don't leave "puppy-hood" till 2-3 years old.  We had to have our front pasture leveled when the girls grew out of puppy-hood.  They were trying to escape by digging underground tunnels to China!  Watch his caloric intake if you have him fixed.

Honored Contributor

A fully intact male is definitely a different animal than one that's a puppy.  And you say he's already "bossy" with your other dog.  Is your other dog neutered?  Two grown male Labradors, with at least one intact and having a tendency to dominate sounds like it could possibly be a recipe for trouble.

Also, while there are never any guarantees about anything, there does come a time when the risk for health problems of any dog being intact start outweighing the benefits.

Your dog, your decision.

Super Contributor

For his health, have him neutered!!  

when males are not neutered, if they smell a female in heat, they will travel miles to find the female and mate. 

are you willing to have your dog on the streets to find that female?  all they want to do is find a female.  watch him, i bet he sticks his nose in the air, constantly smelling.  

go in Instagram and follow any shelter.  Better yet, visit a shelter and that should inspire you not to contribute to the dog population.

breeding is a serious business.  'you' want to  improve the health and bloodlines of purebreds.  and its costly.  

follow the advice of your vet, have him neutered and feel good about it on many levels.