Honored Contributor

January 5th is National Bird Day

Happy National Bird Day to all that enjoy our beautiful feathered friends!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: January 5th is National Bird Day

[ Edited ]

Thanks @momtochloe.  I didn't realize there was a bird day to honor our feathered friends.  When I was a child I used to have pet parakeets.  One of them would fly into my room early in the morning and peck at my head trying to wake me up to play.  One time when I didn't respond (because I was trying to sleep in) he bit my ear.  Yikes, that got my attention.  He went into happy mode as soon as I got up.  He liked to sit on my glasses when I was doing homework.  When I played Monopoly with my friends he would walk all over the board and chew the money.  He was quite a character, as they all were.   I love birds, each one beautiful and meaningful in its own way.  Happy Bird Day to all of them.  Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me I never was raised around birds but my mom would get a sweet twinkle in her eye when she would reminisce about the birds she had when she was a child.  They really can be much more company than people realize and are very sweet and loving.  Your's sounded like a sweet baby, thank you for sharing! . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

Wow, thanks for the heads up.  I will let my birds Poppi, Grayson and Presto know that the nation finally caught up with their birdmama in recognizing how special they are.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Wow, thanks for the heads up.  I will let my birds Poppi, Grayson and Presto know that the nation finally caught up with their birdmama in recognizing how special they are.

I have to say when I posted this I thought of you and your feather babies @Bird mama . . . we all know how special they are!  Heart

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

_

@Bird mama

I'm not usually in the pet forum since I don't currently have any pets.  I always check the main page for posts and saw this one.  What kind of birds do you have?   

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me

Oddly enough, I don't really talk about my birds in the Pet Forums, lol.

I have a male sparrow, Poppi, hand raised out of an egg 10 1/2 years old.

I have a pigeon, gender unknown but I think male, Grayson, found my back door after being attacked by something in July 2009.  I would guess he was a couple of months old when it happened.

I have a female sparrow, Presto, hand raised from 4 days old, foundling crawling in the grass of niece's yard (no trees) and almost run over by lawn mower, 2 1/2 years old.

Poppi had a sister named Peewee.  She passed July 5, 2014 and was 9 years, 9 days old.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@cotton4me

Oddly enough, I don't really talk about my birds in the Pet Forums, lol.

I have a male sparrow, Poppi, hand raised out of an egg 10 1/2 years old.

I have a pigeon, gender unknown but I think male, Grayson, found my back door after being attacked by something in July 2009.  I would guess he was a couple of months old when it happened.

I have a female sparrow, Presto, hand raised from 4 days old, foundling crawling in the grass of niece's yard (no trees) and almost run over by lawn mower, 2 1/2 years old.

Poppi had a sister named Peewee.  She passed July 5, 2014 and was 9 years, 9 days old.

@Bird mama

Oh my goodness, you really are a Birdmama!  How in the world did you know what to do?  Do they live outside?  It's so kind of you to rescue and care for them.  Heart Heart Heart

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me

No, they all live inside.  I learned alot from the internet, especially as it relates to the sparrows.  Grayson was damaged and cannot fly.  Frankly it was a miracle he lived at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama, enjoy the day with your babies!

image.jpg

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop