Honored Contributor

Our town has had an over-abundance of strays and feral cats for the past maybe 10 years.  We and some neigbors have captured, and had spayed and neutered a fair number of the ones that wander into our orbit.

Right now, we have 4 "rehabbed" cats as our indoor pets-- Theo, Terence and Naomi showed up in our yard, only Sibyl was obtained from a shelter.  Recently, a fifth appeared, a sweet-natured tawny colored tabby, "Toby", who was determined to be adopted.  He glued himself to the porch, peeked in our windows, etc. 

We took him to the vet, where he got the full treatment, including neutering.  We have placed a number of kitties in loving homes in the past, but at this time we may not be able to.  (And hubby has gotten increasingly attached to Toby, who is a total love bug.)

My question:  do you think 5 cats are doable, in a relatively small 3 bedroom house?  I thought 4 was my limit, but Toby is very ingratiating.  If anyone has 5 cats or over, are you having to Swiffer 3 times a day, and is a lint roller permanently attached to your hand?  (Naomi is a long hair and generates whole "bales" of fur-- brushing her 2ce daily makes a small dent in her production.)

Interested to hear from multiple cat owners...

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  John where are you?  Somebody needs you. 

John has had many, many cats.  You might want to watch the Roomba sales pitch too.  It may be the answer to your prayers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

We have cats everywhere, and I'd take more if I could. There are cat parties in our yard on a regular basis. I think five is fine. We are currently at capacity with five dogs and four cats  - we vacuum all the time! Sounds like keeping Toby is a must!

Hannah

Super Contributor

I've had 5 cats. Currently have four, lost one. Yep it's too many but I'd adopt Toby. He needs you and it's a little more work but the rewards outweigh it. Bless you. 

Trusted Contributor

Wow - good for you and your neighbors for getting the feral population down. You may also want to see if there is a local trap-spay/neuter-release organization that can assist you in that endeavor.

The most we've had is 4 cats at one time. I felt that 2 - 3 cats was not much more work than 1. But once we got to 4 we could feel the extra work and cleaning.

That said :-)  if the "right" 5th cat had happened along we probably would have added on to our furry family.

Your house sounds big enough to add Toby to your furry family and I think your hubby and Toby have already made the decision for you!

Valued Contributor

When love presents itself , it must be honored.  I say Toby stays!  

In 900 square feet I have had 7 dogs. one macaw, one pot bellied pig. a fish tank, one cat a mini mule and donkey.  You just sweep and dust moreSmiley Happy

It is so cool when your spouse likes 'em as much as you do!!!!

P.S. It helps if you can bathe them or get them groomed.

Super Contributor

My husband and I have five cats.  All girls.  We have my Mom's cat (Tuxedo) who is 17 yo when she passed away. One  is 5 years old, Maine Coon and another Maine Coon who is 18 YO.  My husband rescued two pure white sisters from way downtown that are 5 yo.

He is  a volunteer one Sunday per month at a Cat Shelter since 1992.  I also volunteered back a few  years ago.

He does the litter boxes two times per day, feeds them at 5:30 AM every day-I take over when he is at work.

Yes, we have  to vac a lot, but we live in a cape which has a finished basement.  So they have three floors to stay out of the others way.

The only thing is I have a "ladies sitting room" with custom furniiture so I keep them out of that.  They have alll the other rooms.

Love our furbabies!

Honored Contributor

You lovely people have given me much to think about!   Thanks so much for your input...

Trusted Contributor

Let us know the outcome. . .even tho we probably already know. :-)

Respected Contributor

I've had five cats but in a larger house. However, some of the rooms are closed off. I say go for it!