Trusted Contributor

My husband just got back from the vet with our big guy, Cody.  He had all his shots and bloodwork done.  We have always given him Heartgard for his heartworm medicine.  Our vet is no longer offering Heartgard ~ now they are selling Interceptor.  I'm always afraid of new meds for our dogs.  Do any of you use Interceptor as a heartworm preventative for your dogs?  Any opinions of this, good or bad would be appreciated.  Thanks very much! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928

My poodle 16lbs has been on it for almost a year.  So far, no problem

Occasional Contributor

My 7 pound chihuahua has used it and no problems! 

Honored Contributor

Ive always given my Collies, Shelties and Aussies Interceptor.  These dogs often have a sensitivity to Ivermectin which an ingredient in Heartguard.  It can be fatal for these and other of the herding dogs.  It's considered safer than Heartguard. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I used to use Interceptor but switched to Heartguard years ago.  If you still want to use it you can order it from Drs. Foster & Smith.  They contact your Vet for a prescription.  It's usually cheaper than buying it from the Vet, too, and completely safe and shipped from the United States.  I've always ordered from them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I've used Interceptor for years, it is a better broad spectrum vermifuge than ivermectin, in that it can also remove roundworms and hookworms.  I had a dog on the show circuit many years ago that spent some time on the east coast and she picked up hookworms.  Her handler de-wormed her, but I worried she might have brought some home, so I started using Interceptor for all my dogs after that.  Thankfully nobody ever showed up with hookworms, so either Lucy had not brought any home after all, or the Interceptor got rid of them, one or the other.  My vet stopped carrying it for a few years and I switched to Heartguard, but once Interceptor became available again, I switched back to it and will stick with it as long as my vet carries it.  I've never seen a single reaction in any of my terriers from it, even my newest, a very elderly Cairn I adopted last fall, and she was quite debilitated when I adopted her, so I am comfortable with the safety of the active ingredient, milbemycin oxime.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Interceptor for Dogs

[ Edited ]

When I use heartworm meds, I always use Interceptor, NOT Interceptor Plus.  I had an Old English that suffered a seizure from Ivermectin.  After doing my own research, I found that this is one of the breeds that is susceptible to side effects such as this.  My vet told me to never give that dog Ivermectin again.  He switched us over to Interceptor.  I have used it since.  It was hard to find for awhile, but I see it is back on the market.

I would add that all heartworm medicine is good for 45 days, not the 30 day dosing that is recommended.  It is only prescribed for every 30 days because of the convenience of the pet owner.  Every vet I have asked to verify this, has.

One last thing, Heartguard has caused terrible side effects to many dogs.  I can't believe they still sell this.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I really hate giving my dogs all these medications, i give heartguard,and if you live in midwest ,south,west you need to give them ,but i know some up here in new england that do not,but remember you can give it every 45 days,instead of 30 in some areas.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Like @Kachina624, my collies have always been on Interceptor because it is the only heartworm medication they are allowed to take.  They've never experienced any problems.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

When I use heartworm meds, I always use Interceptor, NOT Interceptor Plus.  I had an Old English that suffered a seizure from Ivermectin.  After doing my own research, I found that this is one of the breeds that is susceptible to side effects such as this.  My vet told me to never give that dog Ivermectin again.  He switched us over to Interceptor.  I have used it since.  It was hard to find for awhile, but I see it is back on the market.

I would add that all heartworm medicine is good for 45 days, not the 30 day dosing that is recommended.  It is only prescribed for every 30 days because of the convenience of the pet owner.  Every vet I have asked to verify this, has.

One last thing, Heartguard has caused terrible side effects to many dogs.  I can't believe they still sell this.

@tends2dogs  You just verified what I said about herding dogs being given Heartguard.  Most vets are savvy enough not to prescribe Heartguard for them.  I know of a collie that died after licking the packaging of a horse medication that contained Ivermectin.  When our collie rescue group sends a dog to a new home it's always with a warning about Heartguard.  Breeders should do the same. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment