Respected Contributor

Re: I need some advice please.

[ Edited ]

Okay, I own cats and dogs (and birds), and I use covered litter boxes in my home to ensure my dogs do not go into the litter boxes, because I know that is definitely an issue!  I definitely do not want my dogs to eat poop, no matter how "safe" it might be, because it is an unhealthy practice in the long run.

My dogs will roll around in squirrel or rabbit poop sometimes if they find it in our yard.  (Bath time!)

All of my cats are house cats and the dogs are used to them.

However, the dogs will definitely chase all strange cats out of the yard.

My yard is fenced, but cats can climb or jump most barriers.

I am definitely against owners allowing cats to wander.  Not only because of the wild animals they could encounter that might hurt them (or someone's pet dog who is bigger and almost as fast and does not like trespassers), but also because the cats could pick up a lot of diseases outside.  Cats often kill songbirds and baby bunnies just for the fun of it, which is very cruel.

I would start with the owner if you can find him/her, and issue a warning. Some people think cats "have" to go outside, and other people just treat pet cats in a half-hearted way and let them be pretty independent.

If it wasn't cold and icy, I would get a hose and squirt the cat whenever it entered my yard. Teach the cat your property is off limits and not a good place to visit.

There are a lot of smells that cats do not like that you could use, but it may mean having to put that in your yard daily, and I am not sure of the size of your yard.

Yes, trapping the cat my be your main choice, but since the owner will lose the cat forever if you take it to the SPCA, I would try to find the owner and advise him/her you are prepared to take this step.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I just discovered there's a cat pooping in areas around my yard. The problem is my dog goes out there, finds it then eats it. Now my dog is eating her own poo, too, and that hasn't happened until the cat poo came along. Is there anything I can do about the cat poo especially? I don't know where the cat lives but I'm pretty sure it's just the one cat and it might belong to a close-by neighbor. It's not a stray, it has a collar.

@SilleeMee 

I sprinkle blood meal in my flower beds and on my lawn every few months and cats don't like it.  Also, if you want tulips or daffodils and have failed in the past because critters ate the bulbs/rhizomes, etc., put blood meal in the planting holes (and be sure to water in) and the animals will leave them alone.  Not sure why but it has worked for me and it helps my garden, my lawn and deters cats but would not hurt dogs.

@Nonametoday.  Dogs will readily eat blood meal that you put in the garden.  Here's what I read about it.

"Blood meal is dried, ground, and flash-frozen blood and contains 12% nitrogen. While it's a great organic fertilizer, if ingested, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and severe pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). Some types of blood meal are also fortified with iron, resulting in iron toxicity".

@Kachina624   I thought we were talking about cats and I clearly specified that cats won't eat it and it won't hurt the dogs if they do.  Maybe I did not make myself clear.

@Kachina624   You are not putting a box out there for them to eat.  I am talking about sprinkling 5 pounds over your lawn.  Did I make the mistake of saying bring a dumptruck in there full of blood meal?  No.  I said sprinkle some.  I buy 5 pounds and it goes all over my lawn and flowerbeds.  It is like a fine powder, finer than baby powder.  If you water it in as I recommended, cats are not going to be able to eat it and if the dog licks it, it won' thurt him.  Why are you making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday.  No reason to get smart alecky about it.  I recalled reading some time ago that it can be harmful to dogs and merely copied the documentation.  Take your chances.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  ,I hope you find a solution, our lab. would eat poop and throw it up ,in the house ,i had 4 dogs ,could not keep all poop picked up each time, it was awful.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

This whole thread is so disturbing to me.......

I see nothing disturbing, she has no plan to hurt the cat, just to stop it from pooping in her yard.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

When a dog eats poop,no matter who's poop it is,it can mean a dietary deficiency.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@SilleeMee 

When a dog eats poop,no matter who's poop it is,it can mean a dietary deficiency.

@MalteseMomma 

Yes, that can happen. But my dog has never eaten poop until the cat came along. It's the cat poop she likes and I understand dogs love it. I just don't want my dog getting sick from parasites or maybe salmonella. Those things can be transmitted to humans, too.

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@SilleeMee 

@MalteseMomma 

Yes, that can happen. But my dog has never eaten poop until the cat came along. It's the cat poop she likes and I understand dogs love it. I just don't want my dog getting sick from parasites or maybe salmonella. Those things can be transmitted to humans, too.

Not to mention doggie kisses are a real turn off after they eat poop...eewww!!  

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@SilleeMee 

That is not true,  some dogs just do that, like they eat grass, and just about anything, that is just what dogs do.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest 

yes of course ,I know that too,I just ment it as a suggestion............  {{{hugs}}}}