Honored Contributor

Hurricane Irma and the Ernest Hemingway house in Key West

Those of you who have been there probably know there are about 55 six-toed cats (descendants of the first ones) who roam the house and grounds freely. If you tour the house, you will see them in the roped off (to humans) bedrooms and other rooms, sitting on the beds and chairs grooming themselves. They all have names too, and the guides seem to know them! I don't know how they can remember that many! They are friendly and some will come up to you.

So I was concerned about where they were going to go. Ten caretakers are staying in the home and property during the storm. They have boarded up the home and have moved some of the furniture the cats like to sit on to the higher floors. They say the cats will sense when it is time to come into the home. They have plenty of human and kitty food, veterinary supplies, first aid kits, and of course water. 

These caretakers are going above and beyond their responsibilities to care for these kitties! I am praying for their safety, as well as everyone else in the path of the storm. 

The Hemingway Home Museum in Key West is prepared for Hurricane Irma on Sept. 7, 2017. Executive director Dave Gonzalez said the 54 cats will be cared for by 10 staff members staying behind to weather the hurricane. The cats will have access to shelter during the storm.  Photo: Hemingway Home Museum

Honored Contributor

Re: Hurricane Irma and the Ernest Hemingway house in Key West

Seems very foolish for 10 people to risk their lives so these cats can be comfortable.  Good chance these keys will be inundated, completely under water.  Surely the cats could be evacuated. 

I just read Richard Branson's description of the storm on his island.  Horrible and he was in a cement bunker.  These people shouldn't be left behind. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom,  I've been there.    The house is interesting and the  polydactyl kitties are adorable and so well-loved.   I agree with @Kachina624, in that I wish they were evacuating rather than staying.   I heard someone on a local talk radio show this morning who said many of the residents in the Keys are predictably, steadfastly, bound and determined to stay no matter what kind of storm is coming their way.   I'm concerned for the felines and their human guardians.    I pray everyone there will be safe and will survive without harm.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Seems very foolish for 10 people to risk their lives so these cats can be comfortable.  Good chance these keys will be inundated, completely under water.  Surely the cats could be evacuated. 

I just read Richard Branson's description of the storm on his island.  Horrible and he was in a cement bunker.  These people shouldn't be left behind. 

It may seem very foolish to you, no surprise there, but I can guarantee you no one staying to take care of the cats had to be asked.  Everyone would be a volunteer.

The same with the staff that is staying at Zoo Miami to take care of the animals there.  Every single one is a volunteer.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp, I want to clarify that I wouldn't call the caretakers foolish, certainly not forced to remain there.   I'm very, very afraid for them and concerned about their decision but have absolutely no doubt the guardians made it with love and dedication.   They are family, after all.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

ABC News Twitter:

"BREAKING: First hurricane and storm surge warnings issued for South Florida and Florida Keys as Irma approaches."

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624@Marp, and @dooBdoo - I agree. I wish they could have evacuated. Maybe they couldn't take the cats? Or maybe they couldn't round them all up; even though they're friendly it would be hard to get all of them. In that case I understand. They must be scared, but the executive director, who is staying, says the house is 16 feet above sea level, has heavy limestone walls,  and has withstood hurricanes in the past - maybe nothing like this though. But like you said @dooBdoo - these cats are their family and they're doing it out of love. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The more I think about this, the more it upsets me.  It's cruel and unusual punishment to force these cats to stay there when they could be evacuated.  They will be terrified; imagine the sound of the wind and debris crashing into the house.  They'll likely take off at first opportunity and the result will be sad.   They will be totally traumatized. 

Just because volunteers are willing to stay doesn't mean it's a sensible idea.  It's possible they've never experienced a hurricane of this magnitude.  Only an idiot signs up for a suicide mission.   They are letting their fondness for these cats over-ride their common sense. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's not their first hurricane

Honored Contributor

I'm also for the cats being relocated and the people leaving.  It puts other volunteers and rescuers at risk who have to try to get to them.  Saving lives should be the top priority.