Respected Contributor

Re: Hurricane Irma and the Ernest Hemingway house in Key West

Good luck to them and may they all be safe.  I wonder if they evacuated some of the "breeder" cats to continue the Hemingway  line. I don't believe all the cats at the Hemingway house are intact otherwise the place would be over run.  Love me a " double pawed" kitty. Fingers crossed for all in the path.

Respected Contributor

Very foolish. I hope I'm wrong but I predict it won't end well-  Who makes these decisions anyway?  

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21for good or ill one would hope it's the person themselves.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Good luck to them and may they all be safe.  I wonder if they evacuated some of the "breeder" cats to continue the Hemingway  line. I don't believe all the cats at the Hemingway house are intact otherwise the place would be over run.  Love me a " double pawed" kitty. Fingers crossed for all in the path.

@candys mine  I read on their website that they allow one litter of kittens per year to continue the line. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Very foolish. I hope I'm wrong but I predict it won't end well-  Who makes these decisions anyway?  

@Skypegirl  The executive director who may be an individual of questionable common sense. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I wish they were evacuating with the cats.  It seems rather foolish to stay there with this horrific storm coming.  The highest place on the Keys can't withstand the kind of water and wind this storm will bring.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

What is wrong with these people .... saw the owner of this establishment on the news last night ... he and some of his staff are "riding this one out"!   

Home Page Logo

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me they are disregarding everything their officials are saying and asking of everyone.  They are setting a poor example.  Why wouldn't they want to be sure the cats and volunteers are ALL safe? There was plenty of time to make a decision to find safe shelter for these kitty's and volunteers.  Let the volunteers take care of them at a safer place.   All lives saved and problem solved. To me this should have been a no brainer.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see this ending well......

Honored Contributor

beach-mom wrote:

Those of you who have been there probably know there are about 55 six-toed cats (descendants of the first ones) who roam the house and grounds freely. If you tour the house, you will see them in the roped off (to humans) bedrooms and other rooms, sitting on the beds and chairs grooming themselves. They all have names too, and the guides seem to know them! I don't know how they can remember that many! They are friendly and some will come up to you.

So I was concerned about where they were going to go. Ten caretakers are staying in the home and property during the storm. They have boarded up the home and have moved some of the furniture the cats like to sit on to the higher floors. They say the cats will sense when it is time to come into the home. They have plenty of human and kitty food, veterinary supplies, first aid kits, and of course water. 

These caretakers are going above and beyond their responsibilities to care for these kitties! I am praying for their safety, as well as everyone else in the path of the storm. 

The Hemingway Home Museum in Key West is prepared for Hurricane Irma on Sept. 7, 2017. Executive director Dave Gonzalez said the 54 cats will be cared for by 10 staff members staying behind to weather the hurricane. The cats will have access to shelter during the storm.  Photo: Hemingway Home Museum

I am not going to judge their decision to

stay at the house and to care for all

of those precious the kitties...it is not

my place to do so.

The only thing that I can and will do

is to pray with all of my heart that

the staff and the kitties survive and

get through this devastating hurricane

safe and sound.

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=