Esteemed Contributor

I've been feeding the Hummers for a few years.  Never use that red store "nectare"..

I don't boil my water either. I just use warm water so the sugar mixes.  I love these little jewels flitting around my home.  Clean feeders often,they get black mold in them.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

There are many reasons why you may not be seeing hummingbirds at your feeder.  If it's a new feeder, it takes a while for them to find it and realize it's going to be there so they can come back.  

Depending upon your location, the hummingbird you originally saw at your feeder may have just been migrating to another area.

I have had hummies at my feeders for several weeks now since they were early this year.  Only a few males come in first, then the females come a few weeks later.  In season I will have about 60 birds, but right now all I see at any given time is two to three.

Also right now, the few pairs that have come have started nesting and I see them at the feeders even less than in the past few weeks.

And finally, you may actually have more hummingbirds coming to your feeder than you think.  They often come, drink quickly, then leave, and you don't happen to see them.  Especially with a new feeder in a new territory, they are leery of staying too long at a food source until they know that it's safe.  When new to your feeder, often when you approach the window to get a closer look, they'll fly away.

Be patient.  If you keep a feeder out and have seen birds in the past, they'll come.  You may have to try another spot if you see them close by but not using the feeder.  And change the liquid often and keep the feeder clean.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for all the great advice.  I will keep trying!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I just add hot water to the sugar, put my feeder out this week and I've already seen so many. I have a flat round feeder that was advertised as preventing the bees and hornets from getting in/at it. Before I had the traditional glass "jar" style, it was overrun with those bugs.

Make sure you place the feeder near an area where they can perch. Mine is in front of a lilac bush on a shepherd's hook, they love to perch in the lilac bush. I've seen them doing so through binoculars. 

I got my feeder from Amazon, it's plastic. Amazon even sells little perches, it's like a hummingbird swing lol.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I read somewhere you shouldn't give Hummingbirds the nectar companies make and sell.  You should mix water and sugar and boil, then cool and pour into feeders (4 cups water to 1 cup table sugar).  Well, I did, had one bird come to the feeder and then left, and no more have been partaking.  Hmmmmm........I have seen quite a few Hummingbirds over the years in our yard.  Anyone have experience with feeding them?

@chihuahuamom

Be persistent with the feeder liquid always available .....  word will get out and you'll have more.

While I think it's important to give them a place to get sustenance, I do it just as much for my kitty Bogey.  He spends hours a day watching the terrace and when birdies show up, Bogey's little tail gently flip flops from excitement.  He loves watching our hummingbird visitors!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

There are many reasons why you may not be seeing hummingbirds at your feeder.  If it's a new feeder, it takes a while for them to find it and realize it's going to be there so they can come back.  

Depending upon your location, the hummingbird you originally saw at your feeder may have just been migrating to another area.

I have had hummies at my feeders for several weeks now since they were early this year.  Only a few males come in first, then the females come a few weeks later.  In season I will have about 60 birds, but right now all I see at any given time is two to three.

Also right now, the few pairs that have come have started nesting and I see them at the feeders even less than in the past few weeks.

And finally, you may actually have more hummingbirds coming to your feeder than you think.  They often come, drink quickly, then leave, and you don't happen to see them.  Especially with a new feeder in a new territory, they are leery of staying too long at a food source until they know that it's safe.  When new to your feeder, often when you approach the window to get a closer look, they'll fly away.

Be patient.  If you keep a feeder out and have seen birds in the past, they'll come.  You may have to try another spot if you see them close by but not using the feeder.  And change the liquid often and keep the feeder clean.

@geezerette

Wow ...  great information.   Thanks for posting your observations!