Honored Contributor

Re: How do you discipline a cat?

[ Edited ]

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I have a male cat, he is about 11/2 now. He was a little itty bitty kitty when I got him and now he is a 15 pound cat. But anyhow, He is basically my cat and I told everyone here not to hit him for any reason. So, I did not hit him or scream at him - I used my flyswatter to swat him on the his back close to the tail end, he learned REAL quick that when he saw me with that  thing that I meant business and he would run into another room. Ha, I still keep that thing on top of the refridge  and all I have to do is to go get it and he runs off somewhere. He sees  it and he knows I mean business. He has been a real good cat - but, sometimes he can be a booger - OK fine, a CUTE booger! My son recently got a kitten that would not stay off his kitchen counters - well now, all is fine - he bought a flyswatter... Worked like a charm...

@CAMOGIRL,   Please don't ever hit a cat with anything, including a fly swatter.  This is such a bad idea and teaches the cat fear.    There are many humane ways to work with animals using love and patience, and understanding "how they tick," to stop any problematic behaviors...  but hitting (or other things like spraying with squirt bottles) is not loving, benevolent, or appropriate.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

OH MY GOD....who would ever hit an animal?  Not cool with a fly swatter or anything. Poor cats. 

I put pine cones in my plants over the dirt areas. Cats will not like walking on  those and they stay out of my plants. You can also put those polished rocks, marbles,etc instead.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@happycat, You're so wonderful to give this sweet cat a home!  I agree with other posts about reading/following Jackson Galaxy, and the other comments (with the major, notable exception of @CAMOGIRL's advice to hit the cat with a fly swatter -- that makes me so sad to read it.Smiley).  No hitting with anything, and no spray bottles of water, etc., either.   That does nothing but teach the cat to fear the human attached to the device.

In general, it helps to have at least one litter box per cat when you have multiple kitties.  Also, I agree they really want fresh water so try to make it available in several locations and keep the toilet lids down.

It makes sad too, knowing that the cat and kitten are being hit with a flyswatter. That is ABUSE!

No animal should ever be hit. 

Ever.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@happycat, You're so wonderful to give this sweet cat a home!  I agree with other posts about reading/following Jackson Galaxy, and the other comments (with the major, notable exception of @CAMOGIRL's advice to hit the cat with a fly swatter -- that makes me so sad to read it.Smiley).  No hitting with anything, and no spray bottles of water, etc., either.   That does nothing but teach the cat to fear the human attached to the device.

In general, it helps to have at least one litter box per cat when you have multiple kitties.  Also, I agree they really want fresh water so try to make it available in several locations and keep the toilet lids down.

It makes sad too, knowing that the cat and kitten are being hit with a flyswatter. That is ABUSE!

Ever.

I know, @Plaid Pants2 -- and @birkin baby.   I'm sick, and I had gone to bed and thought I'd just do some reading here...  when I saw that post, it made me feel even sicker and I felt I needed to say something.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

Ever.

I know, @Plaid Pants2 -- and @birkin baby.   I'm sick, and I had gone to bed and thought I'd just do some reading here...  when I saw that post, it made me feel even sicker and I felt I needed to say something.Smiley

What is even more sad and disturbing is she seems proud that she hits innocent animals and has taught her son to do the same thing.

She sees nothing wrong with it.

How would she like it if someone hit her with a flyswatter?

I bet she wouldn't like it very much.

Respected Contributor

Sorry ladies - did not mean to offend you. 

I was just stating what worked for me. Do not tell me I am mean to animals - my cat is well taken of and he is happy and healthy. I did not know you women were so touchy in this Pet Lovers forum. And, another thing - my cat is not afraid of me, he just does not like the flyswatter. And, that stupid comment about going after me with one - touchy aren't we? I won't be commenting in this ridiculous Pet Lovers forum again. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

>^..^<   I have learned how to discipline my human..............   Love, Kitty the Fuzz

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

If you thought that we would support hitting a defenceless animal, then there are no words for you.

And just like you wouldn't like someone coming after you and hitting you with a flyswatter, your poor cat doesn't like it either.

You NEVER EVER discipline through fear.

Try watching "My Cat From H..." and you'll see that Jackson NEVER uses fear to change a cats behavior.

Try watching the show. You might actually learn something, like how to be kind to animals, instead of putting fear in to them.

No animal should EVER know pain and/or fear.

EVER!

Respected Contributor

Are the plants in one room?  Put the litter box there.  Place her in the litter box - show her where to go.  Then every couple of days move the litter box a little until you get it where you want it to be.  Keep the toilet lid down.  Make sure she has fresh water daily.

Honored Contributor

Why are you assuming this person is beating their cat with a fly swatter?  Maybe she is tapping him on the behind and not hurting or terrifying him.  So we automatically assume the very worst of anyone?  

My mom stopped the cat from tering up the sofa by shaking and rattling the newspaper at him.  Was that cat abuse?  Or should she have let him tear up the only sofa we had?  The cat did not seem to be abused or harmed by the sound the paper made, but he was "afraid" of the noise and stopped tearing up the sofa. . . Cat was happy, mom was happy, cat lived with us happily for 17 years.