Respected Contributor

Has anyone had a dog with lipid depositions (corneal dystrophy) in its eyes?

We recently noticed hazy areas in each eye of our dog (4-year-old male Boston terrier).  The vet diagnosed him with lipid deposits (cholesterol) and we are awaiting test results for hypothyroidism.  He had a full blood panel in December so no Cushing's, liver or kidney problems, etc.  If he doesn't have hypothyroidism, the vet said we will go to a low fat diet.  He looked at the percentage of fat in what we are currently feeding him (Fromm Grain-Free) and said it wasn't abnormally high.  He gets no people food and gets one Greenie a day.

I was just wondering what anyone has experienced with this and would appreciate any advice concerning care, food, etc.  Do the deposits ever lessen?  Our vet will recommend a food (I'm sure) but wondered what others feed if the deposits are caused by cholesterol.  Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a dog with lipid depositions (corneal dystrophy) in its eyes?

@Ainhisg My answer is "no" but I want to throw in .02 cents.

A former neighbor has a cat that has one very hazy eye. They periodically put drops in the cat's eye and the eye becomes clear again for a while. Then the cycle starts again.Their cat is a fluffy, fatty cat - like a little lamb!

Since they just moved I can't ask them for more info on what causes their cat's eye problem but I just wanted to throw it out there in case you dog's remedy turns out to be similar.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a dog with lipid depositions (corneal dystrophy) in its eyes?

@sandraskates wrote:

@Ainhisg My answer is "no" but I want to throw in .02 cents.

A former neighbor has a cat that has one very hazy eye. They periodically put drops in the cat's eye and the eye becomes clear again for a while. Then the cycle starts again.Their cat is a fluffy, fatty cat - like a little lamb!

Since they just moved I can't ask them for more info on what causes their cat's eye problem but I just wanted to throw it out there in case you dog's remedy turns out to be similar.

Thank you for your reply!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 15 year old terrier mix has corneal dystrophy and has cataracts removed from both eyes. His right eye has what the ophthalmogist vet calls "gritty lipids", which work their way out of the eye and feel very uncomfortable, like a grain of sand in the eye. When one is working out of the eye, my dog squints and his eye tears more. I can tell he doesn't feel well.The veterinary ophthalmologist he sees has prescribed Edetate Disodium 1% ophthamlic solution, EDTA, one drop in affected eye three times a day. My dog has also been prone to corneal ulcers.The EDTA has really helped. He also gets Optixcare eye lube plus with hyaluron. That you can get over the counter from Amazon. He gets one drop three times of day of Optixcare which makes his eye feel better.

If you can, finances and location, get a referral for a vet ophthamogist. We have been seeing one for four years since my dog developed diabetes, diabetic cataracts and corneal dystrophy. He's still going strong four years later. His vision is not so good in the bad eye, but he can still see some. Good luck with your dog.

Respected Contributor

@Slainte wrote:

My 15 year old terrier mix has corneal dystrophy and has cataracts removed from both eyes. His right eye has what the ophthalmogist vet calls "gritty lipids", which work their way out of the eye and feel very uncomfortable, like a grain of sand in the eye. When one is working out of the eye, my dog squints and his eye tears more. I can tell he doesn't feel well.The veterinary ophthalmologist he sees has prescribed Edetate Disodium 1% ophthamlic solution, EDTA, one drop in affected eye three times a day. My dog has also been prone to corneal ulcers.The EDTA has really helped. He also gets Optixcare eye lube plus with hyaluron. That you can get over the counter from Amazon. He gets one drop three times of day of Optixcare which makes his eye feel better.

If you can, finances and location, get a referral for a vet ophthamogist. We have been seeing one for four years since my dog developed diabetes, diabetic cataracts and corneal dystrophy. He's still going strong four years later. His vision is not so good in the bad eye, but he can still see some. Good luck with your dog.

Thank you so much for your reply and information! We have a great vet school 3 hours away to which our vet has referred us in the past. Our Boston that passed last year had a corneal ulcer that would not heal, and we saw an ophthalmologist there. I sure hope these never turn into gritty lipids as those sound very painful! Your poor fur baby, but God bless you for taking care of him in the way that you have. Thank you, again, for all the information!

Honored Contributor

Are you seeing a veterinary opthamologist? I would definiately recommend going to one, if you aren't already. One of our dogs has a different eye condition and sees one. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Are you seeing a veterinary opthamologist? I would definiately recommend going to one, if you aren't already. One of our dogs has a different eye condition and sees one. 

We have not seen one, yet. The nearest one is 3 hours away at the biggest vet school in the state. We have seen ophthalmologists there in the past with other dogs. Our vet is in contact with them and will refer us if/when we need to go.