Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You RX Worm Your Dog?

[ Edited ]

Like @CamilleP stated, the heartworm pill would cover different types of worms and all dogs should be given this monthly - even dogs that do not go outside much!  It is costly so I get that some might not be able to afford it.  If you don't give the heartworm then a stool sample should be checked before any meds prescribed.  My vet does that when I go for my yearly exams.

Honored Contributor

If you don't give your dog heartworm meds monthly then they will probably get heartworms.  I follow a rescue organization, and almost every dog they get in has heartworms.  It's a horrible problem to have to treat.  

I'm not sure whether you're asking about hearworm treatment or other types of worms.  I never have needed to treat for other types of worms and can't imagine why anyone would need to regularly.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack, in my part of the country, mosquitoes are only active a few months out of the year, so that is the only time preventative heartworm medication is given. And it prevented heartworm, it wasn't some sort of broadly aimed anti-worming cocktail of a pill.
Trusted Contributor

There's a dewormer in the heartguard.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Heartworm meds I only give during the warm months every 45 days here, but never the winter months to give his body a break from the meds. My vet agrees with this also. 

As for other worms (roundworms, etc) I take in a stool sample with his yearly exam every spring. (He also gets his yearly heartworm test at this time.) It's always negative so no worming has ever been necessary. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you!  We are in AZ and our little dog is indoors except for walks.  At this time we do not give her heartworm meds.  The stool sample went to the Vet yesterday and she has a checkup with shots Thursday.  There is no visual evedience of anything but I was wondering if monthly de-wormer is common other than the heartworm med. 

Esteemed Contributor

Chloe was dewormed at the breeder three times before we picked her up. She didn't need anymore deworming. It's also in their heartworm they get every month.

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Thank you!  We are in AZ and our little dog is indoors except for walks.  At this time we do not give her heartworm meds.  The stool sample went to the Vet yesterday and she has a checkup with shots Thursday.  There is no visual evedience of anything but I was wondering if monthly de-wormer is common other than the heartworm med. 

My dog doesn't spend a lot of time outside either, but I give her heartworm meds each month.  It only takes one mosquito bite.  If you've ever been around a dog being treated for heartworms it's awful.  It's much better to be safe than sorry.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

My dog doesn't spend a lot of time outside either, but I give her heartworm meds each month.  It only takes one mosquito bite.  If you've ever been around a dog being treated for heartworms it's awful.  It's much better to be safe than sorry.

@NickNack What is scary is those who don't give it every month probably do not then have a heartworm test before they resume treatment. If a dog does have heartworm and it is a bit advanced, giving them heartworm meds can actually kill them! You are suppose to always have a heartworm test prior to giving or resuming any heartworm medications.

I do alot of natural things for my pets and am very careful what I give them but heartworm is something I give year around, even though I have not "seen" mosquitos in my area since I've been here. It is definitely better to be safe than sorry. They are also primarily indoor dogs too, especially now that they are older.Plus, the company will not guarantee the product if it is not taken year around. The guarantee covers all medical costs if your dog should get heartworm if you can prove your pet had been on the treatment uninterrupted. IF you are lucky to treat it successfully..

Esteemed Contributor

Never had to for over 30 years.  I would never do this as a "just in case" thing.  It is overkill.  Another money maker and the poor dog has to be the victim of being given a chemical.  SMH

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!