Respected Contributor

How Often Do You RX Worm Your Dog?

I read somewhere that it should be done monthly?  Our Vet has never recomended it, has yours?

Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You RX Worm Your Dog?

If I see worms in the poo, I take the sample to the vet and get the proper meds for both my dogs.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

We always gave a chewable to our dog every month.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

I read somewhere that it should be done monthly?  Our Vet has never recomended it, has yours?

@Jackhound Mom  I have a stool sample tested when my dogs have their yearly exam. My dogs have never had worms detected yet. 

Honored Contributor

monthly

Respected Contributor

What "worms" are you referring to? There are heartworms, and then there are intestinal parasites like roundworms, tapeworms, and hookworms. Would be nice to know what you are talking about cause there is a difference. 

Respected Contributor

I give a heartworm preventative monthly, and the active ingredient in it, milbemycin oxime, also acts against roundworms and hookworms, which are intestinal parasites.   We have a fairly wet climate and lots of mosquito resevoirs, between the ponds and ditches everywhere, so I take no chances, I give my dogs preventative medication. 

Esteemed Contributor

Heartworm meds monthly.  Other than that, my dogs have a minimum of one check up per year and the vet checks for any other worms; none of my dogs have ever had worms.  I personally do not believe in the do-it-yourself worming.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

None of my dogs ever required any medication for intestinal worms. I took their stool sample every appointment for vet to check.
What the heck is your dog getting into that it's contracting intestinal parasites and warrents worming every month?
Honored Contributor

I'd consult your vet but I'm pretty sure it's not monthly.  If there's no sign of parasites, probably never after puppy hood.  I've never wormed mine. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment