Trusted Contributor

Have a potty problem with my newly adopted dog

Hi.  We have a 3 year old dog that we adopted a couple of weeks ago.  He's small - weighs about 15 pounds.  All is going well, EXCEPT.....with all my other dogs when I would take them outside, about every 4-5 hours, they would always go wee wee.  

Before I leave, I always take my new little guy out, but he will not go wee-wee eveytime..  Then if I'm gone for 4-5 hours, I come home to find he had an accident in his crate.  IF he would go wee wee when I take him out, I feel very confident he would not have any accidents.(This does not happen only when I'm leaving, I have a hard time to get him to go wee wee even when I'm home all day with him). 

I keep trying to take him to the same spot, so he will pick-up a scent but it does not work.  I thought of maybe purchasing some wee wee pads for the outside, or putting some scented drops outside.  

I will discuss this with the vet but in the meantime........Has this happened to anyone else?  Do you have any suggestions to get him to go wee wee more often outside?

Honored Contributor

Re: Have a potty problem with my newly adopted dog

Since your dog is adopted and already 3 years old, you might not know his history.  If he is used to going wee wee on a hard surface, he will have a preference for it.

i have 2 dogs who were born in the winter time.  Their breeder took them outside and they learned to go on a hard surface, instead of in a snow covered yard.

try to take your dog to the street or other hard surface area.  When he releaves himself say " Go Potty" or something like that he learns to associate that word with going  wee wee.

i can now get my dogs to go just about anywhere on demand by saying "Go Potty."  They know exactly what I want.

it might take some effort and patience.  Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

Have you tried giving him a treat when he goes?  Dogs always look forward to being rewarded.  After he goes potty and he comes back inside, give him a treat such as a chicken carry out or a piece of pup-peroni.  No go, no treat.

Respected Contributor

Congratulations on your new furbaby! We adopted 7 weeks ago and our guy is 19 lbs. We were told to anticipate accidents for the 1st mionth or 2. We have had 3 accidents including a p00p that DH step in during a rain storm(it didnt help that I bacame helpless w/laughter which infuriated DH). Nature's Miracle works great on accidents.

Use the words potty or others appropriate to the situation consistently. We have tried to avoid treats for going. What did your vet say (I'm assuming your baby was examined after adoption)?

We adopted the dAY after I was diagnosed w/breast cancer. Our little man has been a source of laughter and consolation while I fight this disease.

Trusted Contributor

When I first adopted my dog she always had her accidents. Then as time went by she is fine now. I think they are so nervous in their new home they don't know what to expect from you. Give the dog some time and praise and give treats to the dog when they go potty in the right place. I use to praise her and do a dance every time she went. My kids thought I was crazy but it worked . She is the best dog I ever owned . My dog was abused so bad afraid of everything and everybody. The shelter was going to put her to sleep. No one wanted her but I did. It took me over a year for her to trust me. Lilly is my companion now for five years. Spoiled and healthy and so happy. By the way she has me trained!

Esteemed Contributor

Whenever you adopt a new dog you have to assume they are not house broken AT ALL. You need to start from the very beginning as if they are a puppy. Frequent trips outside, lots of praise and treats and above anything else some time.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I have one rescue that had a similar problem.  I would let her out many times during the day, and she would still pee and occasionalt do #2 in her crate. I think it is because she came from a bad place and was left in a crate for days/ weeks on end. She did not know any better.  They have to learn that you will return to let her out.  I have had her over a year now. She still makes a occasional mistake. It's not her fault she got a rough start in life. It's hard to know what type of a situation she came from before being tossed into a shelter. I would never scold her for the mistake. Give her time and love.

Honored Contributor

Do you just let her out in a fenced yard, or do you walk her?  If you're just letting her out in the yard, I would suggest walking her a short distance until she potties.  That might make it easier for her.  That was my first thought.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Males usually pee right away.  I would assume that he was kept in the crate for ages and is used to doing his business in there (so sad).  I would take him for long walks, they will stimulate him and he will eventually pee outside. Give him a huge pat or hug or treat when he does!  He will get the hang of it!

Respected Contributor

This is a tough problem, and I'm sure it's trying your patience.  Your new addition might be used to going in the crate.   But dogs usually don't want to do their business where they sleep.  Maybe he has too much room in there?  

I would use words to label each act (it's pee pee and poopy in my house).  Also, they know "inside' and 'outside."  When I was training them, if they did anything inside, I'd tell them that pee pees and poopys go outside.  Lots of praise when they went outside, and treats immediately upon going.  I didn't give them anything when we got inside.  ..the reward was when the act happened, with a thank you for making whichever it was outside.

Once they know what each act is called, it's easier to get them to go on request.  I don't have to do that on long walks early in the morning, but sometimes need to remind them before we get home from shorter walks, and almost always have to tell them when we step out quickly before bed.

Thank you for opening your heart and home to a dog in need, and good luck with the training!