Honored Contributor

@chessylady

Congrats on getting a new addition to your family!    He will love you and melt your heart.  Heart

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry that you lost your sweet Buster.  Congratulations on getting your new rescue cat.  I love tuxedo cats.  

I don't really have any suggestions on names.  There are lots of lists of cat names if you do a search for them though.  I like the name Zeb.  I don't think it matters if you change their name though.  They'll get used to the new name quickly.  I've only kept one original name, and that was Sophie.  It really suited her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Re: Getting a new cat

[ Edited ]

Very sorry about the loss of your precious Buster.  They give us so much love but so much pain when that inevitable time comes.  When I lost my dog of 15 years, I found it hard to breathe as I was in so much pain.  I never thought I could love again but adopted my dear Mr. Darcy from our local shelter. For a cat he is very, very affectionate and very spoiled.  I often hold him in my arms (he loves to be held) and ask him 'who rescued whom.'

Although you will never forget dear Buster, your new kitty will steal your heart.  Sorry I do not have any name suggestions but you will find a name that fits him.  Enjoy him.

docsgirlCat Wink

Valued Contributor

@chessylady  I don't have any name suggestions, but just wanted to congratulate you on the new addition to your family!  

You have a warm & caring heart  to welcome a rescue animal into your life.  

Wishing you & your new pal many happy years together!  🐾

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Respected Contributor

why Tux, of course!  good for you for rescuing the rescue cat.  all my cats are rescues and i wonder how people could have been so harsh/cruel to abandon or mistreat these little sweeties.  they bring so much love and joy.

Respected Contributor

How about Tuxedo - call him Tux. 

Frequent Contributor

When I adopted Rusty last June his shelter name was Tuna and I changed it to Rusty right off I don't if the people that owned him before me named him that or the shelter but I certainly going to leave his name Tuna. He's such a sweetheart his former owners were moving and couldn't take him with them.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

why Tux, of course!  good for you for rescuing the rescue cat.  all my cats are rescues and i wonder how people could have been so harsh/cruel to abandon or mistreat these little sweeties.  they bring so much love and joy.

@ms traditional - I think the same thing.  One of our rescues is a sealpoint Siamese.  I support a local shelter and she'd been with them for a year and I'd never seen her when I visited.  They put her on display at a Petco store, but the manager of the shelter wasn't keen on the idea because - in her words - this kitty was "so timid, no one will adopt her".

Well...the day they put her on display, I happened to walk by the store on my lunch break.  The clerk in the store saw me and waved me over.  The rest is history.  I went back to work, made the call and picked her up a few days later.  She wasn't just timid, she was almost feral.

She has had major dental problems (about $2000 worth) but, she's "our cat" and a member of the family and I'm glad I found her because we will always do what we have to to take care of her.

I wish you could see her - she's not the same cat we adopted.  She's pure joy; loving and affectionate and happy now.  It took quite a while.  I still laugh that the manager of the shelter warned me that I wouldn't be getting "a lap cat", if I adopted her.  Ha!  I have pictures to prove her wrong; sit down and Bella is in your lap!  She just needed to feel safe.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I have a tuxedo cat after looking pictures of them. About 3 years ago during my walk around an outside mall this little one always greeted me. She would cross one of the roads to see me. I had to take her home. No white on face but white all down the chest and white toes. My son thought she might have been in cold weather for she has fur all round her toes and the longest white whiskers I have ever seen. I named her Bootsie too. She also follows me around like a puppy dog.

May you and him have a long and happy life together. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia,

".........what a sweetheart person you must be~ I have the highest respect for you doing volunteer work in a pet environment".........or for those assisting with the elderly. Top people in a shallowness of a Me Me world!

I can relate to your concern, knowing about your now,  new pet being UNadopted for over one year.

We had somewhat the same experience, finding on line through the SPCA,  a tiny female of ten years old totally uprooted - and of all situations SURRENDERED to this foreign place, so abruptly!

She was there close to 2 weeks and not one person was interested in her. WHY?       ````Because most people want a baby kitten or pup, not to mention some type of thoroughbred. 

We have had her 1 month,  tomorrow. Firstly, we had her checked thoroughly, then found she was traumatized - not eatjng- not taking water. It was stress 100% for over 2 long weeks.

KittieCream was back and forth to home to ER care for 12+ days.

" If no one can understand then I have no time to spend valuable information and time in explaining.

Never been through anything like this before. That is the best admiration I will ever site out, when people think of others .

Thank you for being a loving selfless uncomplicated uncomplaining human being in a convolutional weird anxious world of what I have knowledge of from several years ago to today. 

Maybe it has always been this bazaar, but honestly I do not think so.

Just trying to figure different perspectives of personalities out is a lesson in psychology 101, for me.....

NAES

@Venezia wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@ms traditional - I think the same thing.  One of our rescues is a sealpoint Siamese.  I support a local shelter and she'd been with them for a year and I'd never seen her when I visited.  They put her on display at a Petco store, but the manager of the shelter wasn't keen on the idea because - in her words - this kitty was "so timid, no one will adopt her".

Well...the day they put her on display, I happened to walk by the store on my lunch break.  The clerk in the store saw me and waved me over.  The rest is history.  I went back to work, made the call and picked her up a few days later.  She wasn't just timid, she was almost feral.

She has had major dental problems (about $2000 worth) but, she's "our cat" and a member of the family and I'm glad I found her because we will always do what we have to to take care of her.

I wish you could see her - she's not the same cat we adopted.  She's pure joy; loving and affectionate and happy now.  It took quite a while.  I still laugh that the manager of the shelter warned me that I wouldn't be getting "a lap cat", if I adopted her.  Ha!  I have pictures to prove her wrong; sit down and Bella is in your lap!  She just needed to feel safe.