Honored Contributor

Frankie had her annual exam with blood work on Tuesday.  Her 3-year parvo/distemper vaccine was due, and I had titers done instead.  I fully expected them to show that she was protected.  The Vet called me today with the news that her titers didn't look good, and she wasn't protected.  I was shocked.  

She had to leave me a message because I wasn't home.  I wish she had called my cell.  I would have liked to have known how much protection she did have.  She said she would be back in the office on Monday, and I could call her then if I wanted to discuss it further.  I am very disappointed with this news.  Frankie is 6 1/2 years old and has always had her vaccines on schedule, which is every three years with my Vet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Dogs like people are all different, at least now you know where she is at and can take the appropiate action.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I would question the results, if it was my dog.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Frankie's Titer Results

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would question the results, if it was my dog.

@goldensrbest  I've already left her a message to call me on Monday.  I want to know the numbers.  I also told them to delete my home phone # and only have my cell phone # on file.  I was very disappointed that I wasn't home to take her call.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

That is a shock, @NickNack

But you need the numbers, as you said.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  For what it is worth - my understanding of a titer reading is the number of antibodies that show up in the lab count for the particular disease you are checking your pet's immunization for.  After listening to Dr. Karen Becker, Dr. Ronald Schultz and reading about this, the number isn't important as long as there is a showing of antibody.  Most vets get hung up on the number, but immunization is immunization.  It is like the antibodies are little soldiers in waiting.  If the pet is exposed to a disease, the "soldiers" gear up and do what they are suppose to do. 

Parvo and distemper are usually puppy diseases.  The above vets vaccinate once for these diseases, titer,  and once immunization is shown, that is it for the life of the pet.  If your dog had zero antibodies, she probably never achieved immunization from his vaccine.  Perhaps he was too young

and still was being protected by his mother's antibodies.  That is why it is wise not to begin vaccinating while they are so young.  They vaccinate over and over banking that one of the times is going to do it.

If you listen to Dr. Becker and Dr. Schultz they say that most vets don't understand enough about titering and achieving immunization.

I hope you get a satisfactory answer and a solution that you can be happy and secure with and also what will be best for Frankie.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  Thank you for this information.  I'm going to print it to have while I'm talking with my Vet tomorrow.  I've about decided that unless she has no immunity at all I'm not going to revaccinate her.  With her lifestyle I think there's almost no chance she would get parvo or distemper.  Of course if I ever have to board her again she'll have to get the vaccine.  I've found someone who will stay in my house, though, while I go out of town, and I'm going to use her this summer.  Hopefully she will continue doing this.  I don't go out of town very often.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  Your vet will most likely want to revaccinate if Frankie's numbers are low.  It sounds like you have a plan about the shot and  about future boarding.  Bringing someone in your home is less stressful all the way around. 

This whole vaccination thing is a real problem and something we have to deal with and make decisions about if we are going to have pets.  I  hate having to think about it.  Heartworm meds are another thing on the list to worry about LOL. 

Let us know what your vet says.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

@NickNackI feel like I need to speak about what I was taught.  The Parvo virus on the head of a straight pin, is enough to infect over 300 dogs.  The Distemper virus is airborne, you can't keep it out of your yard.

They called Parvo the Dog Show disease because unsuspecting participants took it home on their shoes to their kennels.  Wiped 'em out.

I have been there, it is a terrible terrible disease.  Our first patient was an older Schnauzer.  She did not make it.

I just want Frankie to be ok.

I am not schooled on Titers, I understand what they mean though.  I just didn't want you to think she is safe because she is at home. 

I learned my lesson last year with fleas.  My dogs only go out in the back yard.  Not up against any neighbors.  Surrounded by 4 foot high sheets of solid metal fence,  I hadn't used flea drops because I hate them and I have not had fleas in 25 years.  Got 'em last year, my foolishness made my Lola miserable and it cost a lot of money to get her straightened out.  I use the drops now.  Best wishes.  Lapdog.

Honored Contributor

Re: Frankie's Titer Results

[ Edited ]

@Lapdog wrote:

@NickNackI feel like I need to speak about what I was taught.  The Parvo virus on the head of a straight pin, is enough to infect over 300 dogs.  The Distemper virus is airborne, you can't keep it out of your yard.

They called Parvo the Dog Show disease because unsuspecting participants took it home on their shoes to their kennels.  Wiped 'em out.

I have been there, it is a terrible terrible disease.  Our first patient was an older Schnauzer.  She did not make it.

I just want Frankie to be ok.

I am not schooled on Titers, I understand what they mean though.  I just didn't want you to think she is safe because she is at home. 

I learned my lesson last year with fleas.  My dogs only go out in the back yard.  Not up against any neighbors.  Surrounded by 4 foot high sheets of solid metal fence,  I hadn't used flea drops because I hate them and I have not had fleas in 25 years.  Got 'em last year, my foolishness made my Lola miserable and it cost a lot of money to get her straightened out.  I use the drops now.  Best wishes.  Lapdog.

@Lapdog  Thank you for your input.  I had heard that about Parvo and dog shows but had forgotten it.  I do use Nexgard with Frankie primarily because of ticks.  The only time I've had a flea problem was when I adopted a cat from the shelter many years ago.  My other cats got fleas, and I ended up having to have my whole house treated.  I've found ticks on my dogs though.

My Vet hasn't called me back yet.  I left a message for her to call me today when she returned to the Clinic, but so far I haven't heard back.  She always returns my calls though.  Unfortunately she'll probably call me tomorrow when I have to take my Dad some place and it won't be as convenient to talk.  I wanted to be able to write down what she said.  I'm anxious to discuss this with her.

-Henry David Thoreau