Honored Contributor

Follow Up to My Cat Bill Getting Radiation Treatments

Remember I told you on Monday I took my cat in for Radiation treatments for his thyroid?  Well, he stayed there until yesterday.  We picked him up.

There are lots of rules that must be followed after he gets home.  These rules must be followed for two weeks!

I'm already going crazy!  Mainly, Bill is very, very affectionate.  He loves to sit on my chest and give me love.  He follows me around the house all day and when I sit down he's either next to me or in my lap. 

One of the rules is that I can only be around him (close) for 30 minutes per day.  He always sleeps with me...can't do that.  I need to wear gloves when I change his litter, put it in a hard container and closed for 2 weeks, and several other things.

None of it is difficult EXCEPT not being around him.  He keeps coming over to get on my lap!  I have to tell him No!  I don't know who's heart is breaking the most.  He's so sad.

Maybe it sounds dumb to some but if you could see him.  I know it isn't forever, but I worry that it will affect him later.  Everyone (even people who hate cats love Bill because she's so affectionate and just a fun, neat cat.

Thanks for listening.  I just needed to boo hoo....I almost wish they'd kept him there for at least one week, then it wouldn't be so hard.

Honored Contributor

Re: Follow Up to My Cat Bill Getting Radiation Treatments

I'm so sorry to read this.  I can only imagine how sad this makes you, especially when Bill doesn't understand any of it.  Like you said, the rest of it sounds easy except for not being close to him.  This makes me really sad for you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, I was one of the readers who responded on your initial post.  First, let me say that I definitely understand how difficult this must be.....for both of you.  When I was exploring the iodine treatment for my sweetie, I knew that the time away from home would be hard, and the initial weeks when he was back home would be really hard, for all of the reasons that you mentioned.  Just keep focused on why this procedure was done.  Hopefully, the thryoid issue will (or has been) resolved.  You are just going through all of the safety procedures right now for your own benefit.

As I mentioned in my first post, the procedure was not appropriate for my cat due to other health issues, so we're doing medication every day.  This will not be an easy few weeks for you guys, but look at all of the pluses that exist because of this treatment.  Hang in there.  Just give him lots of treats (I hope he can have these) and perhaps stock up on toys for him.  Also, maybe if you play with the toys and Bill, Bill will get tired and go to sleep!!!!!!  Maybe try to find something for him to snuggle with.  Notrhing takes the place of you, I know.  I'm just trying to come up with something positive.

I do feel for you  It's only for a little while, though...................

Honored Contributor

@susan kay @NickNack Thank you for your kind words.  I know it's necessary and he doesn't understand it.  Hopefully, he'll be back to his old self in a few weeks.

I wasn't able to play with him today (had to get shots in my back).  But I'll be home this weekend and will play with him.  That always makes him happy.

Trusted Contributor

I know every cat is different, but my cat loves those small, "stuffed" mice that come in packets of 5 or 10.  Also, loves my using one of those cat lasers.  Not sure if Bill would be up to a laser light chase!!  Wonder if Bill would like a little stuffed animal to snuggle up to.

As I mentioned, I definitely understand, and you understand what's going on, but Bill is still trying to figure out who's on first!!! Take care.

Super Contributor

My first cat, Callie had thyroid problems later in her life.   My vet suggested the radiation theraphy and it worked wonderful.   She affectionately became a Radiocat.   That is what the center called the kitties.  When she came home after the treatment, I had to have special litter and she wasn't suppose to sleep on the bed with me because of the radiation theraphy.   This theraphy worked great.   I did not have to give her thyroid medcine for the rest of her life.  My best to you and Bill.   The two weeks will pass and your did a wonderful thing by taking care of your cat Bill.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

My sister's cat went through the radioactive pill treatment thing many years ago and was kept in a building with other radioactive cats for a week.  That cat was really old and had never been away from us (me and my sister).  The day we went to pick her up they actually had a geiger counter looking thing (radioactive detection).  

Vet gave the same warnings about cleaning litter plan, blah blah blah.  We observed that.  What I couldn't observe was no touching the cat.  I did send my dog (closer to cat size than I was) to my Mother's down the street from me for several days.

Anywhere we sat down, the cat tried to sit next to us.  My sister got up and moved and the cat tried to follow her.

After about 30 minutes of this I said, that's it.  I told my sister, you wanna have kids, I can go either way.

I let the cat lay all over me so she wouldn't feel unloved.  She never carried enough radiation to have any impact on me.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66Hi, I've never had a cat go through the Iodine treatment so I don't really know the spicifics but my first question would be what is considered " close"? side by side or sitting on your lap I would consider a No No but can you stand next to him and play with one of those birdes on a string type toys?  Does he chase after treats you can toss away from you and still keep him entertained?  Can you get a very large carrier and make it all cozy and keep him on the floor beside your bed?  If you can play with him from a distance and keep him sort of near you at night,  you'd still have a half hour of hands on time with him throughout the day.  Hang in there, Bill is home and just being home is a comfort to him.  Just remember he's still radioactive and he wouldn't ever want to put you at risk if he knew what was going on. Make those Kitty Cuddles Count!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Just to add a question to my earlier reply, where did Bill sleep last night?  I just reread your post and saw that you picked him up yesterday.  When I replied I was thinking you had picked him up today.  I'm curious about where he'll be sleeping. That would be hard, because I would think he might meow all night long.  I do hope the two weeks will go by faster than you think it will.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama I'm with you.  I'll follow the rules to some extent but my son-in-law was on a nuclear sub in the navy and wore one of those things to detect radiation.

He'll be home from the Alaska cruise in a few days.  I'll ask him about this.  I think it's wise to observe especially the cat litter and I'll lay something in my lap but I was telling my friend (the vet nurse) I need to get a handle on this....I'm over reacting....

It is hard to tell him no and put my hands up but then he's only on my lap for a few minutes at a time and then gets down (bored....I'm boring...Ha).

Now...if I glow when I turn off the lights....I'll worry....Ha!