Esteemed Contributor

Someone gave my stray dog a bath

We have a stray dog that has been here about a month. I gave him a bath when he first came, put frontline on him, wormed him. He has been staying around, I fixed him a bed on the covered porch.

Yesterday, he was gone about all day, came home last night, I fed him. This morning, I fed him. Thought to myself, I need to give him another bath. Then he disappeared.

He came home a while ago and guess what? He has had a bath!

I have no idea who gave him a bath, but I do appreciate it. When I bathed him when he first came, I fell and I still have the bruise on my leg.

Honored Contributor

Re: Someone gave my stray dog a bath

@happycat wrote:

We have a stray dog that has been here about a month. I gave him a bath when he first came, put frontline on him, wormed him. He has been staying around, I fixed him a bed on the covered porch.

Yesterday, he was gone about all day, came home last night, I fed him. This morning, I fed him. Thought to myself, I need to give him another bath. Then he disappeared.

He came home a while ago and guess what? He has had a bath!

I have no idea who gave him a bath, but I do appreciate it. When I bathed him when he first came, I fell and I still have the bruise on my leg.

I hope that person isn't also giving the dog Frontline or he's getting too much.

Honored Contributor

My question is, why isn't anyone taking this sweet dog to a no-kill shelter, a rescue group or something so he can be safe and not wander the streets?

Trusted Contributor

Why not put a note in something secure (like a small med bottle taped to his collar) that can be read by the other 'kind and decent animal lover' person?  What you have posted would be a great introduction!

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

My question is, why isn't anyone taking this sweet dog to a no-kill shelter, a rescue group or something so he can be safe and not wander the streets?

Definitely!

Esteemed Contributor

We don't have a no kill shelter here. There is one shelter, in town and you have to give them "proof" you live in town, and I do not. I wish we had a no kill shelter or some kind of animal rescue, but we just don't.

Up to the last few days, the dog has stayed been here and happy. He goes for walks with me several times a day, he has fresh water and food and treats. He has shelter (the garage) during storms.

I live in the country, have several acres, up to now he has been happy living here.

Esteemed Contributor

Any of you who live in an area, where you do have places to take the animals that get dumped off on you are really lucky. I had no idea till I moved here.

My husband has talked to the quorum court members, the county judge, and others who I can't remember about this issue. He has gotten no where.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

We don't have a no kill shelter here. There is one shelter, in town and you have to give them "proof" you live in town, and I do not. I wish we had a no kill shelter or some kind of animal rescue, but we just don't.

Up to the last few days, the dog has stayed been here and happy. He goes for walks with me several times a day, he has fresh water and food and treats. He has shelter (the garage) during storms.

I live in the country, have several acres, up to now he has been happy living here.

@happycat

I think he picked you for his new mommy. Hope you take him in as a real part of your family.  They say, dogs choose us and know we're gonna be "family" before we do!

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

i dont know where you live @happycat, but have you tried animal rescue groups in and around your area?

what is going to happen when the weather turns cold?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

Any of you who live in an area, where you do have places to take the animals that get dumped off on you are really lucky. I had no idea till I moved here.

My husband has talked to the quorum court members, the county judge, and others who I can't remember about this issue. He has gotten no where.

I live out in the middle of nowhere on acreage. I don't live close to town but I do know of several rescue groups that will take any animal. They are not close- about 40 minutes for the nearest one-but I have taken many stray pets there and other ones. You can always google rescue groups in your area and see if there are any. Also, many vets will help connect you to a rescue group or foster pet parent. Have you tried talking to various vets to see if they have any connections? I've worked with so many pets that were hit by cars or attacked by other animals and I I have had so many pets dumped in my area since it is out in the forest so I understand.

ETA: many of these rescue groups will send someone out to pick up the pet if you are not able to drop them off yourself.