Honored Contributor

Re: Flea and heartworm meds, tips to savd

I do know that there are people that have horses, and other animals that also have dogs,that do buy liquid forms of heartworm meds,and other vaccine's ,that do administer it to there animals.I  don't think trying to save money on medications,are any  more than people feeding less quality of foods to their animals is ,too many save money on their dogs food,that is also important to feed good food to them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

When you call people selfish, careless and irresponsible for something they may do (third sentence in your first post) I believe that can be considered an attack.  I won't bring up the rest.

What I said was that I believe it's selfish, careless and irresponsible for people to take on more pets than they can practically afford.  That is not an attack on the person, but an opinion regarding their behavior.  You being an iintelligent person and all, am I to believe you think it's a wise choice for someone to take on more responsibility than they can afford?

I would think that most people would realize that a persons circumstances might change. Owning a pet is a commitment that lasts many years, many life changing events can occur over that period of time. People lose jobs, have health issues are asked to take in pets for friends or relatives, lots of reasons.  Are they to just abandon these pets when things get tight?  Is that what you would do to one of your family members?  There are enough dogs and cats put to sleep in shelters that no one wants.  Think that if a person is willing to keep their pets and have to scrimp a little to provide them a home and a good life, good for them.  That is being a caring and responsible pet owner.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I do know that there are people that have horses, and other animals that also have dogs,that do buy liquid forms of heartworm meds,and other vaccine's ,that do administer it to there animals.I  don't think trying to save money on medications,are any  more than people feeding less quality of foods to their animals is ,too many save money on their dogs food,that is also important to feed good food to them.

In some ways the everyday quality of life items are more important.  A high quality food, daily exercise, mental stimulation, grooming etc., keep pets healthier and happier then many people realize. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I've split doses on flea meds for years, I have German Shepherd and a chihuahua. My chi only needs a tiny dose. I also dose heartworm myself, For the cost of a single dose I have enough heartworm meds for years. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

My vets said to never try to "split" doses because you cannot be assured that you are getting exactly half of the actual medication, just because you, say,  split the chew in half.

Like @JeanLouiseFinch mentioned, part of pet ownership is accepting the cost of caring for them and cutting corners on important, life saving medications in order to save some money isn't really the best way to go about saving money. It will cost you much more to treat the heartworm if your dog ends up getting it or, even worse, the dog can lose its' life. I would never want to take that risk. 

Your vet is assuming that people don't know how to use measured syringes. It's not about using half that's in the tube it's about using the correct amount in fractions of a CC as determined by the weight of the animal using a measured syringe. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I don't believe in cutting costs on good quality food either. Cutting costs for pet care, to me, is more about learning to groom them yourself, exercising them yourself rather than pay a pet walker, have someone come to your home to care for your pet rather than board them while on vacation (we only take vacations where we can bring our dogs), etc, not about putting their health at risk, which includes cutting corners on medication or the quality of  food you feed them. That is just how I feel. I don't like rolling the dice where my pets' health is concerned.