Respected Contributor

Tough decisions about my dog and questions for my friends here

I spoke to my vet yesterday about when time comes to put my dog Sedona down.  I have a question for pet lovers that have been through this.  When Scully was put down, the vet put a IV in his leg and administered the drugs through that.  This vet just injects the drugs into a vein directly - not sure I like that idea.  Has anyone experienced this? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tough decisions about my dog and questions for my friends here

The last time I went through this, about three years ago, my vet administered two injections in the leg vein.  The first one was a sedative that essentially put my girl into a deep sleep.  After a bit, when I was ready, he gave her another injection that stopped her heart.  No evidence that she felt any pain or discomfort at any time.

I'm so sorry that you are at this point with your lovely Sedona.  It never gets any easier, does it?

Honored Contributor

When our beloved Weimaraner went into heart failure and had to be put to sleep they put an IV in her leg. Gave her the sedative and before they could give the next drug she died on her own while my DH was holding her.

Valued Contributor

@hoosieroriginalsuch a difficult time.  I am sorry.

I worked for a veterinarian for 20 years.  9 total. Indiana and Ohio.  Loved them all.(mostly)

Non ever put a line in first.  They were all good enough even in the face of the owners.

There were very few times and I mean very, that there was any other action then the pet slipped away immediately. 

Recently my vet tech friend had to let his 2.5 pound Yorkie go.  He was not happy when they chose to put a line in first.  He had assisted enough that he felt it prolonged the end time and added stress to the dog and also cost more.

My experiences only.  What you choose is what you feel best about.  Please take comfort in all the good things that happened to you because you had him.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

The last time I went through this, about three years ago, my vet administered two injections in the leg vein.  The first one was a sedative that essentially put my girl into a deep sleep.  After a bit, when I was ready, he gave her another injection that stopped her heart.  No evidence that she felt any pain or discomfort at any time.

I'm so sorry that you are at this point with your lovely Sedona.  It never gets any easier, does it?

@geezerette - So, directly into the vein, no catheter?  No, it is the hardest decision in my life.  I had set an appt for this morning, but canceled it.  She's still eating food, but she's down to skin and bones.  She was 16 last month.  She hates going to vet and hates having anyone there touch her and I just don't want to stress her out.   I feel as long as she is eating she's okay, but others differ with me.  She's not throwing up any bile or anything like that yet.  Not having accidents in house.  I'm just praying she falls asleep one night and doesn't wake in the morning (for both of our benefit).  I cried all day long yesterday, then called and canceled appt.  Wanted someone's opinion first.

Respected Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

@hoosieroriginalsuch a difficult time.  I am sorry.

I worked for a veterinarian for 20 years.  9 total. Indiana and Ohio.  Loved them all.(mostly)

Non ever put a line in first.  They were all good enough even in the face of the owners.

There were very few times and I mean very, that there was any other action then the pet slipped away immediately. 

Recently my vet tech friend had to let his 2.5 pound Yorkie go.  He was not happy when they chose to put a line in first.  He had assisted enough that he felt it prolonged the end time and added stress to the dog and also cost more.

My experiences only.  What you choose is what you feel best about.  Please take comfort in all the good things that happened to you because you had him.

@Lapdog - Thanks - I just think it would totally stress her out if they took her in the back and put in an IV - she would HATE it.  But then my sister had a horrible experience when someone came out to house to put her dog down, the meds went in the skin (I hear they burn) and her dog jumped up and went screaming across the room!  I told my vet about it and she said they probably didn't get the meds in the vein - that they burn and it probably went under the skin.

Valued Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  That hurts for your sister and for any others there. 

If you have ever had a local in the skin it probably hurts like that. 

There are always going to be unfortunate situations.

It kind of sounds like Sedona would want you to be there.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette - So, directly into the vein, no catheter?  No, it is the hardest decision in my life.  I had set an appt for this morning, but canceled it.  She's still eating food, but she's down to skin and bones.  She was 16 last month.  She hates going to vet and hates having anyone there touch her and I just don't want to stress her out.   I feel as long as she is eating she's okay, but others differ with me.  She's not throwing up any bile or anything like that yet.  Not having accidents in house.  I'm just praying she falls asleep one night and doesn't wake in the morning (for both of our benefit).  I cried all day long yesterday, then called and canceled appt.  Wanted someone's opinion first

@hoosieroriginal

There are vets that specialize in comming to the home. I found one in my area  on google and it was beautiful,if you can say that.  My beloved Corgi,was sound asleep (that is what he had come to) and never even knew they were there,except when she gently touched him. She took him away to a cremation place and I got him back in a lovely mahogany box  with his and my name on it,plus the date and the words, "Barkley, Loving Companion of Lorraine"  in gold.

It is the quality of life that matters.If they no longer enjoy life it is time to let them go.  She  only gave him 2 shots.One to put him to sleep and the other instantly stopped his heart.

She used only 2 injections one to make him sleep another (when i was ready to let him go.. It was actually beautiful,if it can be at all.

I am so sorry you have to go through this ,It is the price we  pay for love  <3  {{{hugs}}}}}}

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

From what my vet told me beforehand and what I saw when the time came, the first injection is either the same or similar to the sedative they use when doing surgery (before administering anesthesia).  And it was done right in the exam room with me there holding her, not in the back room somewhere.  She never moved after she fell asleep.  Her little tongue lolled out of her mouth just like they do when sedated.  That was the only sign that she wasn't naturally just taking a nap.  The vet did make certain she was fully sedated first and then carefully gave her the second drug.  I know how awful this must sound to you, but it really was very peaceful.

Years ago, facing the same decision as you, I told my then vet the same thing as you--that I hoped my dog would just go in her sleep peacefully.  He said everyone wiashes that but it rarely happens that way.  I let two of mine stay until they couldn't eat anymore.  They weren't in pain though.  Once they couldn't eat, it was time.  Every situation is different and you don't have to do what anybody else has done.

Honored Contributor

My family has lost 3 beloved dogs to cancer; all were large dogs, and the vet injected directly into a leg vein.   Their heart stopped within seconds.