Honored Contributor

Our dog has a tough time with itching ....  in spite of oatmeal baths and allergy shots.   (We're sure it isn't fleas.)

It was recommended to us to put drops of salmon oil in his food so I'm asking the pet experts here ....  ever use it your pet's food .... did it help?  .....  and, if so, where did you buy it?

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Never used it, but my dogs only eat fish dog food and not chicken, beef, etc. I eat salmon a lot, so they get some of the leftovers too.

i also got some anti itch shampoo from Amazon from "Pets are Kids Too" it works for them. I love it and so do my babies.

i hope your baby finds some relief soon.

8A6DF711-304F-4CDD-ADD7-08E153A1EB58.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Our dog has a tough time with itching ....  in spite of oatmeal baths and allergy shots.   (We're sure it isn't fleas.)

It was recommended to us to put drops of salmon oil in his food so I'm asking the pet experts here ....  ever use it your pet's food .... did it help?  .....  and, if so, where did you buy it?

TIA!

Hi @Tinkrbl44,  Salmon or any kind of fish oil has a shot shelf life.  In other words, it loses it's efficacy and turns rancid fast.  Virgin coconut oil might be a better choice if you are looking for something to moisturize from the inside out and it has nutritional benefits as well. 

When Willie was itching (no fleas) to the point of raw elbows we were looking for anything to give him relief.  I switched him to raw and within a week, the itching stopped and he was growing hair back in the bald/raw spots.  I never thought I would feed this way, but it is so easy and has been an answer to Willie's numerous health problems.

Hope you find an answer to your pup's itching once and for all.  Shots aren't the answer, but if it helps until you find a permanent solution......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

We don't have a dog but my husband and I both take Salmon Oil capsules.   We buy them at Costco.

The brand is Pure Alaska Omega-3.   It's manufactured by Trident Seafoods.  

It's a soft gel so you could easily just open a capsules and put the oil into your dog's food.   I don't believe that I would use the whole capsule at once.  Each capsule has 1000 mg of salmon oil.   The instructions for humans are two capsules per day.

I could certainly see how it could be beneficial to your dog.  It's helped us quite a bit.

I like it much better than fish oil capsules.   It doesn't seem to have that fishy after taste.  

Honored Contributor

I think that raw food diet for the dog is a good idea, just start him out on small amounts until his system gets used to it. You may want to ask  your vet to check and see if it's a hormonal imbalance with your dog. I had a female cat once who had a horrible dry skin condition and I finally found a vet who could help her. She indeed had a hormonal disorder, the vet gave her a shot and in a few days she stopped itching and scratching and didn't have any more problems.

Honored Contributor

Re: EVER USE SALMON OIL?

[ Edited ]

I give my Goldens Vitacost brand fish oil  soft gels for dogs.....just add them to their  dinner. Two a day.  Easy!

i also give them Missing Link powder for dogs.....and Powdered Lecithin. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I give my Goldens Vitacost brand fish oil  soft gels for dogs.....just add them to their  dinner. Two a day.  Easy!

i also give them Missing Link powder for dogs.....and Powdered Lecithin. 

@SeaMaiden  I am curious about Missing Link.  What is it?  I give Willie a food fortifier (powder) to fill in what is "missing" because of feeding him raw. I am thinking this might be the same type of product?  I also feed him powdered bone meal that I get from Vitacost. The soft gels of fish oils would eliminate the chance of becoming rancid I would guess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs  There are several formulas in The Missing Link.  I use the original formula.  The label may have changed since this one.....Here are the ingredients.

some people do not like the cane molasses in the formula.... But it does contain ground beef bone 

The Missing Link Ultimate Skin & Coat Ingredients:
The Missing Link Ultimate Skin & Coat
Guaranteed Analysis (per 3 tsp) Amount
Crude Protein 18 %
Crude Fat 28%
Crude Fiber (Max) 15%
Moisture (Max) 10%
Linoleic Acid (an Omega-6 Fatty Acid) 450 mg (5.6%)
Alpha Linolenic Acid (an Omega-3 Fatty Acid) 1000 mg (12.5%)
Calorie Content (calculated) 4387 kcal/kg; 13 kcal/tsp
Ingredients: Ground Flaxseed, Cane Molasses, Rice Bran, Primary Dried Yeast, Sunflower Seed, Freeze Dried Beef Liver, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrot, Ground Beef Bone, Dried Fish Solubles, Ground Barley Grass, Dried Kelp, Freeze Dried Oyster, Zinc Methionine Complex, Lecithin, Selenium Yeast, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

6368C827-B473-4345-928D-3C4AB7B2CE12-54715-00003531011AE572.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden This looks similar to what I use.  I get it from Chewys and it is called Nature's Logic All Food Fortifier.  It also contains probiotics and enzymes.

I sprinkle it on Willie's food and he eats it right down.  It lasts a long time. 

Thanks for responding and including the ingredient list.  I would have on the one I use, but I don't know how to cut and paste. Woman Sad

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been giving my pup salmon/fish oil for last three months for dry skin.  It has definitely eliminated the dry skin problem and her coat is coming in shiny and smooth.    The vet recommended either Nutrivet Wild Alaskan Salmon oil or Welactin fish oil.  We have tried both and I really can't tell much difference in results.  I think I got both from Amazon.

It's hard to tell how much it helped the itching since she also is on anti-itch medication.  She is taking apoquel, which is anti-itch, not anti-allergy .  

Speaking of which ... the smoke from the wildfires is making her eyes water.  I knew it was affecting everyone in town, but didn't realize how sensitive the dogs were to smoke.