Contributor

Dogs that lick the bedcovers excessively

I have a 16 year old chi-weenie. When we go to bed at night she wants to keep licking the covers. My husband got up with her 2 times to go out, when she came back to bed she started licking again, she will usually go back to sleep. We both got up about 3 in the morning and stayed up till about 5. When she was doing all that licking she got blood on my quilt, throw, and sheets because she has a mole on her nose that started bleeding. Have any of you had this problem before?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs that lick the bedcovers excessively

No not seen this before,but i would ask the vet, i wonder if it could be anxiety.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 GSD's that do that occasionalyy. What I found is they are "cleaning" the area if they've had a runny nose of if one or the other just came in from potty and laid down on the blanket. They don't do it to excess. My guess would be the laundry detergent or fabric softener, etc. Dogs are so sensitive to scents so it's a process of elimination. Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

@georgia dawgs Does she have allergies? My son's Yorkie, 9 does this. He   believes she feels itchy in her throat or ear and is trying to soothe the itch.

Respected Contributor

both of my dogs do this on occasion.  doxie, and a chi x mix.  

i believe it's more of a comfort thing. also one will do it if her nails are too long. 

as for after pottying, i think they have to lick the outside scent back off. 

for me, i let them do it for a short while, and then put my finger on her nose, and tell her to stop. 

i have awakened up to plenty of damp spots on the bankets. 

good luck.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@georgia dawgs Does she have allergies? My son's Yorkie, 9 does this. He   believes she feels itchy in her throat or ear and is trying to soothe the itch.

@KBEANS 

Judging by the username, I assume they live in GA and our pollen levels are screaming right now!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

You are correct, I live in nw ga. She doesn't have allergies. She drinks alot of water and pees alot. When i took her to the vet in May her creatinine was 1.7 and in Jan.1.4, bun was 71.9 in May and 59.8 Jan. I take her June 27th for her shots.