Valued Contributor

Re: Do you ever feel like a slave to your dogs?

Of course my dog has me trained. I would do anything for her as I did for my two other dogs that I miss like crazy.

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am not referencing this in a negative way. I love my two dogs like children. I just feel like THEY run my life!   I am home  all day now, so I am  constantly letting them in and out...walking them...grooming them...feeding them,  just loving them etc.   I  am just wondering if it is just me being over protective of them, or if it is common for some of you also to have your world revolve around caring for your dog(s). 

@SeaMaiden  I feel like a slave to my cats.  I love them but they are all a great big pain in the tush.  

Honored Contributor

My dogs don't take an excess of time.   I have a large yard with a secure fence and a dog door.   They're locked inside overnight so they don't bark and disturb anyone,  then I let them out about 8am and they let themselves in and out all day.   After a long period of having Collies,  I've deliberately chosen a couple smaller dogs who require less grooming time and minimal exercise.   I know I can lift them into the car in case of emergency after being unable to manage my 80lb collie when he became unable to walk.   This is a serious consideration for a single woman.   I have a service that comes weekly to remove poop. 

The time you spend on dogs depends a lot on your management of them and your selection of the breed and its demands.   If I had to take a dog outside multiple times a day,  I probably wouldn't have one.   They are dear to me,  some days they are the only beings to whom I speak so they're great companions. I would be very sad without them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden I know you weren't complaining, you were simply stating a fact!  And, yes, I certainly feel like a slave to my dog at times.  We've had dogs our entire married life (34 years).  Right now, for the first time in about 20 years, we only have 1, but we are thinking about getting him a buddy.  LOL

Our lives definitely revolve around our dogs -- so much so that we bought a little vacation home so that we can take our dogs on vacation with us!  My husband and I haven't been away, alone, in years!  

Our dogs have always been an important part of our family, as I know yours are! Woman Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You go @Kachina624!!!! 😘

Honored Contributor

I have a Kitty...........and sometimes I wish she could open the fridge and just help herself to a snack.........................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A friend of mine has a dog that thinks she is both his Entertainment Committee and Personal Servant.  LOL

After being a dog person for much of my life, somehow, a beautiful Tuxedo Cat adopted me and he melts my heart every single day.   He even kisses me on the cheek in the morning to wake me up.  

Bogey is the four legged Love Of My Life. Heart  Heart  Heart  Heart   Heart

Honored Contributor

@151949. Never thought I'd say these words, but I don't ever think I've heard someone sound relieved that their dog died. Maybe he knew how you felt & went to Rainbow Bridge a few years sooner.

Super Contributor

Sometimes, it's boring to walk him, but I never feel as slave. Dogs provide you love and company. They have a short life. 

Maybe you are elderly woman, who wants peace and not caring for any kids or pets, but someone taking care of you. To me, dogs, cats are part of my family.

Honored Contributor

151949 wrote:

Well, first of all I never understand why anyone thinks they need more than one dog or any pet. I was able to get all the love I needed from one dog at a time. All you do is double up on the workload of owning them - twice as many times to go in & out, twice as many teeth to brush, nails to cut, meals to clean up after,fur everywhere  etc etc etc.  But it is my experience from people where I now live that many people, once their dog or dogs pass away - this is the main reason they don't get another one. They enjoy the freedom of not having them to care for. This certainly is the reason we have not gotten another one. Our lives are so peaceful now without a dog to have to constantly care for.

I happen to have FIVE cats..all of whom

I rescued at different times. Had I not

they'd all be dead.

My decison to save them wasn't based

on my need to have more than one cat...

or as you put it..pet.

It was based on the fact that I've

always been a very compassionate and

caring woman and because of that I

will NEVER turn my back on an animal

that is in desperate need of having

it's precious life saved.