Honored Contributor

Re: Did your vet express condolences after your pet was euthanized?

@layla2450   So sorry you didn't get that personal touch that is well deserved. 

Our vet came to the house to put Sadie to sleep several years ago, so it was quite personal. He had been her vet for 12 years and said he'd want to be present. 

About 2 weeks later, we received her ashes, a plaster cast of her foot print and a card signed by all the vets, vet techs and even the front desk people. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At my vets office, they light a candle out in the waiting area, to let others know what's happening in one of the exam rooms.  Those in the waiting area are respectful and keep their voices low.  In the exam room, the vet tech helps get things set up and takes payment so you don't have to go to the office desk. They take the pet to the back to get the IV needle placed and then bring the pet back to you.  They allow you time for your goodbyes and you let them know when you are ready. The vet comes in and administers the medicine. They allow you some more time with your pet while the tech waits with you.  The particular exam room has a door that exits to the outside so the heartbroken pet parents don't have to walk through the waiting room.  IMO, it's the best way to proceed through a terrible situation.  A few days later the pet owner receives a condolence card signed by the vets, techs, and office staff, along with a packet of flower seeds. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, our local vet office sent us a sympathy card within 4 days after our dog was put to sleep.

Earlier this week we received a sympathy card from the WV Veterinary Medical Foundation where our local vet made a donation in honor of our pet.   

Respected Contributor

The vet asked us to join hands, and he said a prayer.  It's the only thing I ever liked about him as he loved to ramp up the bill as much as possible.  After kitty died, we never went back there for veterinary care.  

Trusted Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

The vet asked us to join hands, and he said a prayer.  It's the only thing I ever liked about him as he loved to ramp up the bill as much as possible.  After kitty died, we never went back there for veterinary care.  

I know EXACTLY what you mean by ramping up the bill. I have another cat who also has been going to this vet for many years. Her LACK OF COMPASSION for NOT expressing her condolences and NOT receiving a sympathy card is UNACCEPTABLE. I have spent $$$S there. I will NOT be going back there. It's time for me to find a new vet.