Honored Contributor

Re: Decided to Try Being a Foster Mom for a Senior Dog

I adopt senior goldens. So far I've had three. The one I have with me now is 15yo. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Respected Contributor

@Catty2 It sounds like I can hear the excitement in your post!  You will be a great asset as a foster mom and it could lead to a lifelong commitment and you are up for the task!

Good luck in this adventure and GOD BLESS YOU!

Respected Contributor

Quotes about Rescue dogs (46 quotes)

Valued Contributor

@Catty2 I, too, foster, and I absolutely love it! Yes, I have gotten attached to a few of them and my heart was broken for a time after I said goodbye, but it always makes me feel better knowing I helped a furry friend in need. Good luck to you!! 

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 Any news?

Have you heard anything about your application? Or any news about being selected as a foster to the terrier mix?

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

No,, nothing yet.  Many of them are run by volunteers who also work full-time so it may take awhile to review the application and get back to me.  Will let you know when I hear anything.  

Respected Contributor

Did you meeet your pup yet?  Technically, he's a senior, but lots of terriers live beyond 11 or 12 and are quite active, so he may keep you active too with walks, etc.  Keep us posted on how it goes.  My terrier is 12, has arthritis but still runs and plays.  

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue 

Haven't heard back from the rescue yet.  As a child, our first family dog was a terrier mix.  My dad brought home a little black puppy when I was 2 years old.  Smokey lived to be 18 years old.  Heart

Regular Contributor

We adopted Snowball just before Christmas.  He is an 8 year old maltipoo.  It was quite a demanding process with interviews, references and a house visit.  We lost one of or dogs the year before and were absolutely heartbroken.  Over 3 months in now and it's one of the best decisions we have ever made.  

It took time for him to settle with our other 14 year old dog but they now seem to respect each other's space.  Giving Snowball a second chance in our home has been so rewarding with lots of love and laughs.

Good luck on this journey, we had some disappointments along the way but we believe it was our turn with Snowball, he is a complete joy. The right one for you will be waiting with open paws lol.

Respected Contributor

I haven't heard back from the rescue group but went on their website last night.  The dog I was interested in fostering has been adopted.  That is a great thing for her.  They don't have that many dogs and none of the other ones really fit what I'm looking for. Our local humane society always needs fosters but they usually have medical issues and want the foster to take them to/from vet appointments, etc.  They are over an hour away so that isn't going to be an option for me.  I will check other rescues and see what I can find.  Heart