Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KingstonMom wrote:

@Mindy D 

By daylight, there were no babies left.Smiley Sad

@KingstonMom 

Have you seen the parents?  I feel badly for them.  Five baby birdies gone.  Darn!  

@Tinkrbl44 

DH installed their new box yesterday with a baffle AND a slinky, as the parents watched intently from their place on the utility wire, so it looks like they're still interested in starting a new family.

Bluebirds usually breed through May.

Our fingers are crossed for them!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonMom 

What's happening with the mom and dad birdies?  Anything new with them? 

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Mom & Dad are back!

They've rebuilt their nest, but no eggs yet!

I do a fertility dance on the side of their box, to speed things along, LOL!

AND to not freak them out with my dancing!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonMom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

Mom & Dad are back!

They've rebuilt their nest, but no eggs yet!

I do a fertility dance on the side of their box, to speed things along, LOL!

AND to not freak them out with my dancing!

@KingstonMom 

Oh, SO glad they are nesting!   I hope the snake police are watching carefully.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

We are!

Now we have a baffle and a slinky (highly recommended) on the pole, no way a snake could climb it!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad that the birds are nesting again. The snake was doing what snakes do. I don't hate them; snakes can't help what they are and don't deserve their bad reputation. 

I feel bad for the birds, but nature can be cruel. People can only try to do so much to help. Here's hoping that the birds will stay safe now. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I hate them. All of them. I don't care how much some want to pontificate about how imiportant they are. I absolutely detest them. Poor little birds. I thought the rotten things ate bugs and vermin. Throwing it in the creek was way too nice.

@stevieb  I totally agree with you .. I loath snakes ,  I find them plain evil with those eyes and slithering about !  They are my worst

nightmare .  And I do not care how important they are to the ecosystem.   I don't feel God made snakes I never will 😡 I know who did though 👿. Poor little baby birds and the traumatized parents.   And yes throwing it in the creek was too good for it..  get an axe .

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@KingstonMom  How dreadful for the bluebird family.   My momma had a wreath on her patio that birds started a family in,   A snake got in the wreath and momma ar 80 pulled the snake out with a hoe and chopped his head off.

GOOD!,

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@KingstonMom wrote:

@stevieb 

While out assessing the situation in daylight, can you believe the dam* snake wasn't dead???

DH had decided that he would make them a new box to get rid of any snake smell. He took the old box off so there was nothing but the pole standing and there he was again, slithering up the empty pole!

I guess he thought he found an easy meal, so he was back!

This time he 'lost his head', so there's no coming back from that!

To be sure that it was the same snake he looked behind our privacy fence, by the creek and sure enough, there was no snake!

Too creepy!

@KingstonMom , Birds have no sense of smell.  

Glad to hear he is gone for good !

Respected Contributor

It's upsetting to see birds fall victim to anything predatory but it is part of the Circle of Life.