Trusted Contributor

Cat owners - advice on cats jumping?

I hope someone may be able to offer some advice on my issue. I have a very curious 1.5 year old cat who has become a great jumper! She has found ways to leap up into windows that are 5-6 feet up so she can watch leaves and critters go by. (She has plenty of other windows and a large door she can look out but she's just super interested in these high up windows). I don't mind that she's so curious but I fear she will injure herself when she leaps down. Has anyone experienced this and has found a way to curb the jumping from high heights? I've already moved the table that she used as a springboard so now she's just using brute strength to get to the window and clawing up the wall if she doesn't make it. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Respected Contributor

Re: Cat owners - advice on cats jumping?

Put a few pennies in an empty alluminum can...shake it the minute kitty leaps - the sound should work on her associations with jumping as being a negative experience. 

Try it and lemme know if you have any luck.

Honored Contributor

Jumping is what cats do.  She knows her limits and is unlikely to hurt herself.  You ought to make it easier, not harder, for her.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would put the table back.  She's going to jump anyway, and it would be easier for her and on her with the table.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @NickNack -- put the table back and create "step stools" to help your cat jump up and down. As @Kachina624 said, jumping is what they do!

Esteemed Contributor

For pete's sake, why would you move the table?  She has a much higher risk of injury without something to assist in her jumping up or landing.

Valued Contributor

You could try cat deterrent mats (eg Vitervi sold on Amazon).  

I have two kittens and I’m using these. 

If she has very small paws, you can overlay them to make the gaps smaller.

I would then make a temporary step so that she can paw at the mat and learn it’s a no-go zone before trying to jump up to it.

Occasional Contributor

Cats love to jump up high and look out windows.  Your cat is young and needs to experience everything she can.  Please put table back, or something under window so kitty has an easier time getting to her favorite place.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some cats prefer higher perches. I know mine does. The higher the view, the better. Cat's are sure-footed and agile. 6 ft. is not a challenge for them unless they are elderly or infirmed. I'd be hesitant to use negative reinforcement to prevent a cat from jumping-since you never know where that will go. It could transfer to a phobia of windows or to jumping up in general. If the height is a worry to you, you might set up a tall, carpeted cat tree or other options in front of the window-or even think of alternatives for creating new excitement and adventure.

Honored Contributor

Cats always land on their feet.  Even jumping from great heights.  Rarely if ever get injured.  Cats like snakes have very flexable spines.

When my cat was a kitten to keep him from jumping on my table & counters, I did what the op "Ko" suggested.......

"Put a few pennies in an empty alluminum can...shake it the minute kitty leaps - the sound should work on her associations with jumping as being a negative experience."

I left the cans on the edge of the table & counter.  Cats HATE the sound it makes when the cans landed on the floor.

You may want to try the above for your high windowsill if so concerned but leave the table alone.  Put some penny soda cans on the table edges.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif