Esteemed Contributor

Holiday Pet Adoption Guide

[ Edited ]

Taken from Parade Magazine, this is a helpful guide if you or anyone you know is thinking about adopting a pet.  I am a firm believer in rescue, and just about every one of them can help with issues that may arise.

How busy are you?  Pets need time and attention in order to successfully transition to your home.  If you have other pets, that intro takes careful handling, too.  Kittens and puppies are extra demanding.

Are you a clean freak?  Slobbering, shedding, hairballs, stinky kitty litter.  If your tolerance for a less-than-pristine home is low, a cat or dog may not be for you.

Are you a sneezer?  If you or your family members have allergies, keep in mind that pet dander and hair are common triggers.

Expecting kids to help?  Kids under age 12 put the care burden on their parents.  If you are approaching the empty-nest years, you will likely be the sole pet caretaker.

Budget-friendly?  While adoptions do not typically cost that much, and vary from $50 to $150 or more, all of your new pet food, bowls, shots,beds, tags, and checkup can add up.

Indoor or outdoor?  Do you want a pet that curls up on the couch with you or a dog who is a great walking pal?  Adoption agencies often have some idea about the personality or habits of their adopteesl  They also might have insights into how much space and time certain dogs need to burn off their energy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Holiday Pet Adoption Guide

Excellent check list but.............missing 2 very important issues

The cost of Vet medical care - for simple things I rarely got out for less than $200

And when traveling or in illness (hospital) - must have a support backup person or kennel  (another $$) ...... to care for pet in your absence

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Holiday Pet Adoption Guide

@fthunt  Very true.  Our vet has a very reasonable health plan that we have for Maui, and she can be seen as often as necessary for no additional charge, and seniors have very low costs for checkups if you do not have the plan.  I believe most vets have some type of program like that.  Also, there are many low-cost vaccination days, at least where I live.  I know that some insurance comopanies also have pet-care plans, but I have found that they are more expensive.

As far as pet care while on vacation, it is expensive.  Quite often, our vacations include road trips and we take our dogs.  The cats stay home but have a professional pet sitter, who is also a neighbor, and she gives me special rates.  It is important to have a plan and also to have money to carry out those plans.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!