Valued Contributor

Anyone been a foster parent before (dogs or cats)?

I love animals and have had both dogs and cats; however, I have never been a foster parent.

Is it something you recommend?  I worry I would get too attached; but,I am still considering.

Thanks for any input.

Contributor

Re: Anyone been a foster parent before (dogs or cats)?

I too am interested in fostering cats. I have two 8 year old cats and am concerned how they would adapt to a new cat in the house. The last thing I want is any behavior issues. I am also concerned I would get attached to the foster cats and want to keep themSmiley Happy

I would like to hear other people's stories regading fostering.

Esteemed Contributor

Highly recommend & Highly rewarding!

10629567_10204506038147713_5108863381606649358_n.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I fostered three cats but only for a short while.  It turned out I was terribly allergic to two who came from the same litter.  I had never been allergic to a cat before and had been around cats all my life, but my doctor said I needed to let them go so someone else took over the care of those two.

A few months later I ended up fostering a cat who was abandoned by the owners and luckily I didn't have the same allergy and eye issues.  However, right after that I  got an unexpected offer to do some consulting work that required my being out of town most of the time and the pay was so good that I couldn't pass that up.  

If it hadn't been for that I probably would have ended up keeping that last one.  It would have been hard for me to let him go to anyone else. Another consideration for you is that there is a fair amount of expense involved because most cat rescue groups don't have the money to cover even basic expenses related to the care of the animal while it is being fostered so that falls on the foster parent.  That can included everything from animal carriers, beds, toys, food, medication, litter etc etc. 

Honored Contributor

I've been fostering collies and shelties since 2003.  Yes, sometimes you do get attached, and since many come with "issues", sometimes you can't wait for them to leave.  To not foster because you might become attached is, in my opinion, very selfish.  If you're a thinking human you should be able to justify fostering versus a few minutes of sadness and decide for the better good.  Overall, it's very rewarding.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, dogs mostly (but sometimes other varieties animals as well- even a turkey, lol). It is hard to let them go but since we are very cautious who we adopt them out to, I must feel 100% positive in my choice or they won't go so then it is less hard. It also makes me happy knowing they will be going to a loving home.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I helped out with a Dalmation rescue. Except for the shedding, these are WONDERFUL dogs in my experience.

Tube fed  a Doberman pup that went on to be a drug sniffing officer for a police force.

Rescued kittens, had them fixed and found homes for them.

It was all worth it.

A lot of rescues do not let you adopt the first rescue and some, none of them, as you are more valuable as a rescuer and harder to find.

Respected Contributor

I fostered twice and failed.  By fail I mean I ended up keeping both of them because I didn't want to let them go.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was a foster home for many years for a very low kill shelter. I fostered cats. Actually what they needed was a foster home for pregnant moms, orphan litters or moms with very young kittens. I loved it so much. But you have to be prepared for some sad things. Stray pregnant cats do not have very good nutrition and often are sick. I saw a LOT of dead kittens, sometimes we lost the whole litter. But on the other hand I saved little lives as well. Yes I failed a few times as in I kept a kitten or two. I also found many great homes for the kittens I fostered. I played with them all the time so they were very socialized. My son's friends would say if you want a good cat go see Jacks mom. I also loved seeing the mother cats get healthy in our care. I did what I could for all of them. SometImes we had kittens running all over the house, happy and healthy. 

Now we have 3 cats who were all fosters when they were kittens. I had to stop fostering for a while since I am now babysitting my little grand daughters and they keep me too busy. But I miss those fostering days!  I forget who told me that it is " the hardest job you will ever love". 

Honored Contributor

If you do decide to foster - you will make a rescue group VERY HAPPY. I am active for several years with a collie rescue group. And I have to say the foster "parents" in the group are the most important. And I know the rescue group is thrilled when someone offers.

Many times they need a foster parent to be available at a moments notice. In fact last week, there was a stray collie found and our rescue group took him in. Because it was a stray they had not history medical or temperament wise. So ideally the dog would go to the foster home. And during the stay they could try and find the owner, get a medical history or start one and see if the dog is house broken, can walk on a leash, is social, or fearful.

Not always easy but so needed. I also know that our rescue group pays for all the medical needs, and gives supplies and food to everyone who adopts or fosters. 

Hope you decide to help out.