Valued Contributor

Re: Am I doing right by my old cat?

NO, NO, NO chance in H*ll I would board my cat for a week. Board the dog's!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

As someone else pointed out, what about the smells left by the dogs?  Is she going to be looking for/smelling dogs in all of her favorite places?  This isn't over when she comes back from the vet/spa.  She could be in just as much stress from what odors/hairs that are left behind as having the actual dogs there.

Frequent Contributor

I'm not gentle.  WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOUR SON.  hOW COULD HE PUT YOU IN THIS POSITION.  TELL HIM TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY  AND TAKE CARE OF HIS DOGS 

Valued Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@house_cat I hope you don't take some of what is being spewed at you to heart.  People who consider themselves "animal advocates" should be willing to offer the same compassion and understanding to human beings.

I speak for the cat who has NO voice. A compassionate person would not take a cat from it's safe place and board it for a week, so someone else's dogs can come. That could be a real stressor for any cat, let alone an elderly cat. SO WRONG!!!!! Make's my blood boil!!!!!

Honored Contributor

No @house_cat  frankly, you're not doing the right thing, so don't look for any guilt abatement here. I agree with @Sooner and so many others, board the dogs. It's the cat's house, after all. She's old and she's used to being at home with her owner. Better yet, tell your son to leave his dogs at home for a change. Unbelievable.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@NickNack 

Just to clarify, it's a beautiful facility, attached to a veterinary clinic. Medical care is available.

The cats are boarded downstairs and the dogs are upstairs. Each cat kennel has three levels, with a "tree" that runs up the center of it. 

Last time I left her I brought her bed, a cozy familiar blanket, as well as what we call her "cave" and all her food was supplied by me.

I am not concerned that she will be well cared for physically.  The cat room includes a glass enclosed secluded area for visiting.  I don't know that I can get there every day to visit, but I certainly can do it three or four times during that week.

@house_cat  I don't care if you're putting her up in a suite at the Ritz, it's not right and you know it's not right.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@house_cat I hope you don't take some of what is being spewed at you to heart.  People who consider themselves "animal advocates" should be willing to offer the same compassion and understanding to human beings.

Oh malarkey... In this instance the human being has a choice. The cat does not.

Respected Contributor

@Love4cats wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

I speak for the cat who has NO voice. A compassionate person would not take a cat from it's safe place and board it for a week, so someone else's dogs can come. That could be a real stressor for any cat, let alone an elderly cat. SO WRONG!!!!! Make's my blood boil!!!!!

You have NO idea what the complete situation is with the OP and her son.....her SON is a human being, and she has already said there are extenuating circumstances which figure in to her decision.  She is not SO WRONG.....you have no way of knowing the whole story.  

OP wanted some reassurance what she felt she has to do is ok.....I am truly amazed at some of the harsh responses she got.  

The needs of my son would always come before a pet.  My opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alicedee wrote:

@Love4cats wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

You have NO idea what the complete situation is with the OP and her son.....her SON is a human being, and she has already said there are extenuating circumstances which figure in to her decision.  She is not SO WRONG.....you have no way of knowing the whole story.  

OP wanted some reassurance what she felt she has to do is ok.....I am truly amazed at some of the harsh responses she got.  

The needs of my son would always come before a pet.  My opinion.

The NEEDS of her SON might (repeat might...) come first, but NOT the needs of his DOGS... And I am truly amazed anyone thinks people should just simply agree the OP is doing the right thing merely to reassure her when her son is being selfish and her proposed solution is lousy bordering on dastardly. If there truly are extenuating circumstances, other than that her son simply MUST travel with his dogs and can't or won't pay to board them, then spell them out.. Otherwise, the consensus isn't likely to change...

Respected Contributor

The OP isn't required to spell out the extenuating circumstances.