Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I doing right by my old cat?

@house_cat wrote:

@NickNack 

Just to clarify, it's a beautiful facility, attached to a veterinary clinic. Medical care is available.

The cats are boarded downstairs and the dogs are upstairs. Each cat kennel has three levels, with a "tree" that runs up the center of it. 

Last time I left her I brought her bed, a cozy familiar blanket, as well as what we call her "cave" and all her food was supplied by me.

I am not concerned that she will be well cared for physically.  The cat room includes a glass enclosed secluded area for visiting.  I don't know that I can get there every day to visit, but I certainly can do it three or four times during that week.

You are making excuses for why the dogs come first in your house, and the poor cat, comes last.

Bottom line, the cat is getting booted from HER home.

Not right.

Not right at all.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@house_cat I hope you don't take some of what is being spewed at you to heart.  People who consider themselves "animal advocates" should be willing to offer the same compassion and understanding to human beings.

Trusted Contributor

Well if you're going to do it I would at least tell your son to shorten his trip since he's going from one place to another. He can time it to come in for one or two days and then move on. Does he know what happened last time?

But I would still change it up and have the dogs go there instead. Boarding dogs isn't crazy expensive and if you're willing to pay for your cat just pay a little more but for a shorter time. Pets are an expense and an obligation and it's time for your son to learn that.

I didn't go out of town overnight for 6 years because my cat needed medicine twice a day. and I knew that if I had someone come in to care for him he'd hide under the bed on them. He was friendly and probably would have shown himself eventually but I didn't want to put a pet sitter through the trouble and who knows if the cat would have ultimately decided to help.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

@NickNack 

Just to clarify, it's a beautiful facility, attached to a veterinary clinic. Medical care is available.

The cats are boarded downstairs and the dogs are upstairs. Each cat kennel has three levels, with a "tree" that runs up the center of it. 

Last time I left her I brought her bed, a cozy familiar blanket, as well as what we call her "cave" and all her food was supplied by me.

I am not concerned that she will be well cared for physically.  The cat room includes a glass enclosed secluded area for visiting.  I don't know that I can get there every day to visit, but I certainly can do it three or four times during that week.

@house_cat   Then why are you asking if you are "doing right by my old cat"? IMHO, you are seeking justification for a choice you've already made.

That is the conclusion I came to when read the OP's post, too. I hope it's clear by now that the animal folks on this board do not endorse this decision in any way. The solution is simple.

Don't board Gracie. Let her stay in HER home. It's hard enough for an older, established cat to deal with the disruption of her routine and the presence of a guest, even one she's met. A pet spa is not her home. There's also the possibility that she'll get sick from exposure to the other cats' germs. Why take the chance?

Board the dogs. They have each other for companionship. Gracie would be taken away from her person, who may not  even visit her daily. That feels, as I think someone else said, like a punishment. Please don't do this to her.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@NickNack 

I just wanted to ask you if this pet spa is affiliated with PetSmart.  From your description it sounds like it might be.    I don't want to knock the veterinary hospital because I know that many people use them, however, they haven't always had the best reputation in the veterinary community.   They're known for hiring new inexperienced veterinarians who are told to push their wellness plans.    That's all I'm going to say about them.  

If this is a PetSmart Pet Hotel I have to say that I wouldn't leave any of my pets there.  I was at our local store one day and happened to walk by the window where they have an area for "doggie playtime".   The young employee who was supposed to be monitoring them was sitting there playing on his phone while a large dog was grabbing a small chihuahua by the neck and shaking him.  This kid was absolutely oblivious to what was going on.  It was frightening.   I pounded on the glass to get his attention and when he looked up he just took his foot and shooed the larger dog away.   He then went back to his phone.  

I went into the counter area and told the clerk what was happening and she told someone to go in and take the chihuahua back to his cage.  I asked her if both dogs were from the same family and she said no.    I told her you do realize that the small dog could be killed by this larger dog and her response was well that's why we have an employee sitting there watching them.    I was so furious.  I did contact the corporate office but received the standard response from them.   It stated "our first concern is for the safety of our valued customers pets" and thank you for letting us know.   What a bunch of hogwash.   

Now I have to be fair and say that many kennels are very well run and have very diligent employees.    We have several in this town.   It's just after years working in clinics I have seen many terrible situations that have resulted from people boarding their pets in kennels.   

Trusted Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

If this was my situation, I would have learned the last time with 2 large dogs that upset my aging constant companion!  I would put my foot down about dogs in the house since the cat will stay.  Either son has to leave dogs home and boarded or boarded while at your home.  Your aged cat has priority, not the dogs!  I learned years ago about my adult child leaving her dog at my house when dog not used to my home..not good for the dog, not good for me and the animals that live in my home...NO!

I totally agree with what you said!  Her son is a grown man and shouldn't even think about bringing his dogs to his moms home especially if he knew how much it upset his moms cat. This issue should have been addressed a long time ago, right after the first visit. Mom should have put her foot down then!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat.   Aren't you sorry you asked?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

Let me get this straight. You are sending your 15 year old cat away from her home over the holidays so a vistor with two visiting dogs can come to visit?

Am I missing somthing here? Why is this even an issue. Your son should leave his dogs at home or put them in a kennel.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

@NickNack 

You are making excuses for why the dogs come first in your house, and the poor cat, comes last.

Bottom line, the cat is getting booted from HER home.

Not right.

Not right at all.

Plus the dog smell will still be in the house and that would upset Kitty. No way would i do that to any of my pets, especially if they are frail and elderly!

Respected Contributor

Even though I already replied earlier i've still been thinking about this.  If you are able to help your son financially with the cost of boarding his dogs, that might take care of the problem and let your cat stay home and be less stressful on you.  Some boarding facilities have kennels big enough for 2 large dogs.  My brother has done so with his 2 (they each weigh 60 lbs).